What? What Are You Listening To?

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
What Are You Listening To?

This is a straight-forward Off Topic Okinawa thread. Feel free to post the artist and/or embed the music into its own post too. Do not upload the music if you are unable to embed the music; just leave the artist name and title as we do not want to deal with Digital Millenium Copyright Act ("DMCA") requests to take down music daily.

See this guide on how to embed music by selecting the "Media" option.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
While I'm not too fond of this music, I do listen to mostly everything.

This music video hit my recommended list and then I thought that there was a lot of creativity behind it. They also made a behind the scenes video to show you how they made it.

While you might not like the music, you have to respect the extra originality gone behind making this music video.

If you do like the music or extra layer of entertainment with OK Go, you also might enjoy This Too Shall Pass (a great video for getting through COVID-19 lockdowns now).

This band seems to have a lot of unique music videos while other bands or artists may just have one or two videos directed with that in mind.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Sometimes, music can help you get through things, without even understanding the true lyrics at the time.

Linkin Park - In The End, although not the greatest music video, is one of those songs that I played when I first started web development in middle school/high school when it hit the airwaves. This is because I was, I suppose, you could say a child prodigy when it came to programming. I was able to develop a very successful, for that age, online multiplayer text-based RPG.

Growing up poor, I didn't have the funds to expand it into something a little more visual as the web grew and CPM (the amount you were paid per 1000 ad views [upwards of $18 at the time]—which is not the case anymore as it's now based upon CPC, or per click, rather), but, I was talked into partnering with a guy about 3 times my age who did have that ability.

I ended up moving my code to his server and a few weeks later, cut out of the deal completely as my downstream ad provider was $3-7 while his downstream was $12-22 [a higher tier] and I just wanted a 50/50 a split to profit even more as that was an enormous amount at that time. That was a bit too much and he wanted to only give me the $3-7.

That's when I hinted on pulling the plug on our partnership, but, once I said that all access was denied with my username and password.

This song helped me get through not trusting anyone, and, I still don't have trust when it comes to business to this day. Because of that, I will always, always, enter into some form of a legal contract. I did hit him hard as it was my code and released it as open-source, so there were quite a few competitors that sprung up. So, I suppose the incident helped me learn a valuable lesson so young, while the song helped me get through losing something I worked so hard on.

The site is still up to this day but it is archived with my name on it, which is all that really matters because it's something that I can be proud of accomplishing something that young.

While I don't idolize people, losing Chester Bennington was something that was a shocker. I enjoyed his (Linkin Park) music from then until to this day because he is a great vocalist and the music never really died, it only evolved—that has to take a lot of core work to hit notes for that long. :p

What's some inspirational music that got you through tough times or even just music you like to bump in the car?

chris

Sometimes, music can help you get through things, without even understanding the true lyrics at the time.

Linkin Park - In The End, although not the greatest music video, is one of those songs that I played when I first started web development in middle school/high school when it hit the airwaves. This is because I was, I suppose, you could say a child prodigy when it came to programming. I was able to develop a very successful, for that age, online multiplayer text-based RPG.

Growing up poor, I didn't have the funds to expand it into something a little more visual as the web grew and CPM (the amount you were paid per 1000 ad views [upwards of $18 at the time]—which is not the case anymore as it's now based upon CPC, or per click, rather), but, I was talked into partnering with a guy about 3 times my age who did have that ability.

I ended up moving my code to his server and a few weeks later, cut out of the deal completely as my downstream ad provider was $3-7 while his downstream was $12-22 [a higher tier] and I just wanted a 50/50 a split to profit even more as that was an enormous amount at that time. That was a bit too much and he wanted to only give me the $3-7.

That's when I hinted on pulling the plug on our partnership, but, once I said that all access was denied with my username and password.

This song helped me get through not trusting anyone, and, I still don't have trust when it comes to business to this day. Because of that, I will always, always, enter into some form of a legal contract. I did hit him hard as it was my code and released it as open-source, so there were quite a few competitors that sprung up. So, I suppose the incident helped me learn a valuable lesson so young, while the song helped me get through losing something I worked so hard on.

The site is still up to this day but it is archived with my name on it, which is all that really matters because it's something that I can be proud of accomplishing something that young.

While I don't idolize people, losing Chester Bennington was something that was a shocker. I enjoyed his (Linkin Park) music from then until to this day because he is a great vocalist and the music never really died, it only evolved—that has to take a lot of core work to hit notes for that long. :p

What's some inspirational music that got you through tough times or even just music you like to bump in the car?
Hey dave i happen to like Linkin Park same as you nice pick and believe it or not when or before Linkin Park hit the airwaves i saw them in a bar concert in New Jersey that hosted bands every weekend. I do not recall the name of the bar but if I remember i will give that info to you, but i'm sure that bar is long gone by now. I also saw Bon Jovi before they became big and others like,Rush,Bruce Springsteen,George Thorogood, Bob Seger many more i saw. good post dave!(y)

• Wow
Reactions: WA6

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
i saw them in a bar concert in New Jersey that hosted bands every weekend
Lucky you. I wanted to see them in Tokyo a couple years ago, but I couldn't make it because I just started as a contractor on base. With that company, I needed to work 3 months before even being able to earn leave (other than sick leave). 😣

chris

Lucky you. I wanted to see them in Tokyo a couple years ago, but I couldn't make it because I just started as a contractor on base. With that company, I needed to work 3 months before even being able to earn leave (other than sick leave). 😣
This always happens to the good guys!(y)

Reactions: WA6

island cyclist

My favorite band of all time was Nectar. They were a European band. I believe they still might be performing.
They were way ahead musically of their time.
Here is an album. Have a listen. Heavy stuff.

chris

My favorite band of all time was Nectar. They were a European band. I believe they still might be performing.
They were way ahead musically of their time.
Here is an album. Have a listen. Heavy stuff.

OK IC that was like way to much flower power for me and its really good to have favorite things especially music. but i do have to disagree a with being ahead of their time with music. For me the only person and or band that was truly ahead of time in lyrics and music was Jim morrison and The Doors.

island cyclist

Yep Jim M was great. I did some painting at the Whiskey a Go Go on Sunset strip back in the 70's . I guess Jim performed there and I believe Van Halen also.
Also Condition Green from Okinawa performed there. I wonder if they still are active in Okinawa. They were all stoners . They played on BC street of Kadena Air Base.

chris

Yep Jim M was great. I did some painting at the Whiskey a Go Go on Sunset strip back in the 70's . I guess Jim performed there and I believe Van Halen also.
Also Condition Green from Okinawa performed there. I wonder if they still are active in Okinawa. They were all stoners . They played on BC street of Kadena Air Base.
lol again IC way before my time, hell i didnt know who or what okinawa was in the 70's i was only a kid then

island cyclist

Cool. I've been looking for them here at the pawnshops, but nothing seems to be worth buying at inflated price. Not looking for high grade, but maybe an advance entry level grade
Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
r9i4r5i5