Implemented User Enable/Disabled Ads & Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
Awaiting feedback stages and brainstorming donations ideas from the article and poll below...

Please take a moment to read our article, Okinawa.Org Revenue Drop.

We are going to stay true to an ad-free experience for all members. The ads for members will be less intrusive and can be adjusted as we progress with different placements that aren't in your face—one thing is for certain though, members choosing to opt-in will only see 1-2 ads while visitors will see 5-7. By default, all members will be shown ads. However, they will be able to turn them off in user preferences. New registrations will have the option to enable or disable them.

Expanding On Donations

We will have 3 donation packages with 2 reoccurring of monthly and yearly and 1 permanent (pricing TBA) for as long as your account exists on the forum. The charges will be from PAYPAL OKINAWAORG until canceled. For now, it will show a banner of "Donor" on your posts and profile until the package expires (unless your purchase the permanent donor package).

We are open to all ideas that donors can receive above those that just turn on ads (you can also be a donor and turn on ads). Many site features are disabled or limited to prevent spam, but we highly doubt that anyone would exploit these settings after having paid for an upgrade.

A Preview OF What We Do

We are here to help Okinawa in any way possible, in baby steps.

Hand sanitizer and masks are like gold right now.

Hand sanitizers & masks for donation
This was a small purchase (estimated $40, but some products were donated by generous people) to be distributed to those in need. We will also be donating Lysol wipes and other cleaning products to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Okinawa.

Like we say, everything above and beyond overhead is literally given back to our community, Okinawa, at this point.

It's Sunday, so they won't go out to respective places until tomorrow. We're merely just showing a preview of what a difference we're attempting to make around Okinawa with our ad revenue.

Stockpiles of food will also be donated to shelters, once inventoried.

We will be as open as we can about recipients and amounts, but are not taking receipts for any sort of tax write-off.

If this sounds good to the majority, we can skip the three-day voting process and get things moving so that we don't need to continue keeping our stock in arrears (debt until the checks come in).

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

chris

Founding Member
LOL umm i know i'm new here but what ads? Since i joined this site i haven't seen one ad and i guess my adblocker program really does work lol.

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
LOL umm i know i'm new here but what ads? Since i joined this site i haven't seen one ad and i guess my adblocker program really does work lol.
We have ads turned off for members only. We're going to incorporate ads as an opt-in option for all members as well as "supporter" subscription and lifetime options.

This is so those who choose to opt-in or monetarily subscribe can support our overall mission. :)

However, we will only show 2 ads as opposed to the 5-6 that visitors see if you do choose to opt-in—members will freely have that choice whether they subscribe or join and can cancel or opt-out at anytime.

We'd appreciate it if you did opt-in or subscribe, but that's 100% on you. ;)

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
We've been researching Google AdSense Auto Ads to make an appropriate approach to ads appearing for members. We have Auto Ads enabled for guests but disabled for members.

If we add even 1 ad to any page, Auto Ads carry over so you would be inundated with the same ads, plus one, as Auto Ads carry over to any ad on any page and there is no override.

Our thinking is that we reduce the number of Auto Ads for guests, but manually place more ads for guests. This way, when Auto Ads are enabled (but with the option to opt-out, as promised) for members, they would see the minimum of 1-3 unintrusive ads.

The rollout of ads (1-3) will begin today and the option to opt-out will be added in 1 week with a guide on how to opt-out.

We would need full cooperation from members to post screenshots of ads and where they are automatically placed in order to make a decision to strike it all together and go back to 0 ads for members as there is no way around it. A weeklong trial, with enough posts, should suffice.

There is no way we would ever hike the number up for guests as we had it before because it went unreported for 2-weeks that an ad covered, and scrolled down, 1/2 a cellphone screen and that is not acceptable, for even a guest.

chris

Founding Member
We've been researching Google AdSense Auto Ads to make an appropriate approach to ads appearing for members. We have Auto Ads enabled for guests but disabled for members.

If we add even 1 ad to any page, Auto Ads carry over so you would be inundated with the same ads, plus one, as Auto Ads carry over to any ad on any page and there is no override.

Our thinking is that we reduce the number of Auto Ads for guests, but manually place more ads for guests. This way, when Auto Ads are enabled (but with the option to opt-out, as promised) for members, they would see the minimum of 1-3 unintrusive ads.

The rollout of ads (1-3) will begin today and the option to opt-out will be added in 1 week with a guide on how to opt-out.

We would need full cooperation from members to post screenshots of ads and where they are automatically placed in order to make a decision to strike it all together and go back to 0 ads for members as there is no way around it. A weeklong trial, with enough posts, should suffice.

There is no way we would ever hike the number up for guests as we had it before because it went unreported for 2-weeks that an ad covered, and scrolled down, 1/2 a cellphone screen and that is not acceptable, for even a guest.
Now if you were getting paid to show ads hell i would fire away show 50 ads and collect the cash LOL but for me it doesn't matter ads or not just about every website has ads and its usually about 3 which 99% of all people allow because its not interfering so i'm good with you showing ads in my book

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
It should be up to and no more than 3 very well placed ads that are easily ignored, unlike they are as is being a guest.

We'd appreciate it if people didn't opt-out as we get paid in two manners: Per click (the highest) and per CPM (or 1000 views, the lowest). Even with 3 ads showing to 100 members seeing 10 pages a day without a click (CPM), it's still a decent payout to cover server fees.

However, we did promise no ads and don't want to bait-and-switch. So, it will always be opt-in/opt-out for you to decide on whether you want to support our ongoing mission. We just need to do a trial run to see where Google decides to automatically place these ads to see if they are intrusive as we never want to see an ad take up 1/2 a screen that you can't dismiss on a mobile device; that is unacceptable.

chris

Founding Member
It should be up to and no more than 3 very well placed ads that are easily ignored, unlike they are as is being a guest.

We'd appreciate it if people didn't opt-out as we get paid in two manners: Per click (the highest) and per CPM (or 1000 views, the lowest). Even with 3 ads showing to 100 members seeing 10 pages a day without a click (CPM), it's still a decent payout to cover server fees.

However, we did promise no ads and don't want to bait-and-switch. So, it will always be opt-in/opt-out for you to decide on whether you want to support our ongoing mission. We just need to do a trial run to see where Google decides to automatically place these ads to see if they are intrusive as we never want to see an ad take up 1/2 a screen that you can't dismiss on a mobile device; that is unacceptable.
We just need to do a trial run to see where Google decides to automatically place these ads to see if they are intrusive as we never want to see an ad take up 1/2 a screen that you can't dismiss on a mobile device; that is unacceptable.

AHH Google! my old friend, LOL give Google an inch of space they will take 12 inches. Like i said if there's money in it for you guys showing some ads then so be it. I have no problems with it i'm sure others won't either. People tend to miss the little things (ads), when they want to chat or yell or get there point across in a forum or chat room etc.

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
AHH Google! my old friend, LOL give Google an inch of space they will take 12 inches. Like i said if there's money in it for you guys showing some ads then so be it. I have no problems with it i'm sure others won't either. People tend to miss the little things (ads), when they want to chat or yell or get there point across in a forum or chat room etc.
Ads are now implemented. Please screenshot and/or average out ads you see per page. It hypothetically should not exceed 3-4 at the moment, and with this weeklong trial, 2-3.

I cannot control but 1 ad and Google places the rest. If it goes beyond 5, we will yank it.

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
Thirty minutes in: We are noticing 2-4 ads on our end, but, they are slightly smaller than what a guest would see.

Also, to prevent click bombing (a way of trying to get an AdSense account banned and something that we underwent and reported to Google a couple of times before), once ads are clicked 1 time, they should disappear for 6 hours. Please report back on that if you so happen to click an advertisement that you are legitimately interested in viewing or learning more about. This applies to the top ad and the ad in the right menu (PC) or bottom (mobile).

chris

Founding Member
Ok i also don't have any ads but i do have adblocking and google analytics opt out app guess thats why i dont see them:LOL:

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
I don't see any ads at all. I also don't have ad blocker on either.
This account sees them.

Maybe they're just too well blended?

Advertising on Okinawa.Org
Ok i also don't have any ads but i do have adblocking and google analytics opt out app guess thats why i dont see them:LOL:
This could be why, but we also have adblock detection that we could turn on that'd force you to turn it off or whitelist us in order to view our site too. We won't enable that option for guests or members though as it could do more harm than good with people clicking the back button from our page to Google too quickly.

We would like a favor for you to turn it off to see how ads come through as they seem to be sporadic at the moment—basically until Google learns where to best place that 1 or 2 ads at.

Screenshots would help us determine if this is a good idea or not.

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
Switching from mobile to PC, this has got to be the most well-blended 3rd ad ever seen.

Okinawa.Org advertising

chris

Founding Member
OK i turned off my adblock and google analytics and see the ads now. home page has 4 ads when you go into forum area theres 2. 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom OK so what do you want me to do click on them? for ya?
User Enable Disabled Ads & Donations - Okinawa.Org2.jpg
User Enable Disabled Ads & Donations - Okinawa.Org.jpg

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
OK i turned off my adblock and google analytics and see the ads now. home page has 4 ads when you go into forum area theres 2. 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom OK so what do you want me to do click on them? for ya? View attachment 2488 View attachment 2487
No. Don't click ads unless they are of interest to you.

We just wanted to know whether ads would show, and if so, how many. Okinawa.Org doesn't want to bombard members that choose to opt-in to see ads with as many as guests see.

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
Nope I still don't see any ads. Maybe because I'm on the main island?
They should just serve you contextual advertising or geographical based advertising instead (i.e. bicycle parts / Tokyo Disneyland). That's odd by now if you're not seeing anything without an ad blocker enabled.

chris

Founding Member
No. Don't click ads unless they are of interest to you.

We just wanted to know whether ads would show, and if so, how many. Okinawa.Org doesn't want to bombard members that choose to opt-in to see ads with as many as guests see.
well i clicked on 1 because it did interest me lol. but i only see the ads when i am logged out not when im signed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aldjal