INFO USDJPY pair 133 Japanese Yen to the U.S. Dollar!

og:title
$1 to 133 yen exchange rate!

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
We've already had 20-year lows when we hit the 132 line vs the U.S. dollar. Now, we're at 133 even.

USDJPY pair at 20-year lows

What does this mean?​

This means that we haven't seen an exchange rate of $1 to 132 yen in 20 years!

Today, we made a new low—or high, depending on how you look at it—of 133 yen to the dollar.

I just got through with a ¥470 purchase using a VISA debit card. And because I'm using a U.S. bank with dollars in the account, that came through as $3.56, a nice even exchange of yesterday's yen rate of 132.

Where can I exchange dollars for yen in Okinawa?​

It's likely that you won't be able to make (extremely) large purchases such as rent to a new car purchase using a credit or debit card. Therefore, you'll have to exchange dollars, by withdrawing from your bank, for yen locally in Okinawa. This site has a couple of money exchanges listed in the "Okinawa yellow pages".

Though, don't think you'll get as great of a rate as the daily exchange pair as seen in the image at the top of this post; they need to make money too. Generally, you'll be getting a 1-2 yen difference so you'll expect to see an exchange rate of 131 to 132 today when you exchange in person.

If you're aware of any other exchange places on Okinawa, let us know, especially if they have favorable rates or something else to benefit us!

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.
OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
Looks like we're making new "lows" every day as it looks like we hit 134.26 (higher overnight)!

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
We're now at 136.23!

This hurts the feels a bit cause I bought my house at 112... :cautious:

island cyclist

Founding Member
Impact
At 137 yen exchange rate for the USD here in Japan for SS, this is a lot more yen in our bank account. I'll have to wait till July 4 to see the yen increase.

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
At 137 yen exchange rate for the USD here in Japan for SS, this is a lot more yen in our bank account. I'll have to wait till July 4 to see the yen increase.
Wow! It looks like they converted at the peak of like 136.72 and rounded up since it was so close. Lucky!

I just convert mine any time that I withdraw yen or make a payment, so it's a "variable" rate. The week before, I made a ¥470 purchase and it charged me $3.56 and that same purchase price was $3.48 this week.

island cyclist

Founding Member
Impact
Yen went back down to 134 or there about. Hope it would go back up to at least 138 yen per dollar by the end of the month.

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
Yen went back down to 134 or there about. Hope it would go back up to at least 138 yen per dollar by the end of the month.
Yeah, I had the ticker up and was watching it in real time last night when it dropped in a matter of a minute or two. Hopefully, we can still see a time of 150 yen to the dollar!

Mac

Founding Member
Impact
Hoping it keeps climbing.
What hurt me is I bought a big chunk a few months ago when it hit 115. Dropped a bit after that so thought I had made a good play - then it's been going up and I still got my most of the expensive yen I bought so don't need to get an for awhile.

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
Hoping it keeps climbing.
I can definitely see it hitting 150 again, especially if the Bank of Japan/Government of Japan sticks to this export mentality, driving the yen to be cheaper to entice other countries to buy up Japan's exports at cheaper prices. They're taking a vastly different approach from the United States so far, which is benefiting anyone that earns dollars (and not hurting anyone that makes yen too much, until inflation hits hard).

Monthly historical chart of USDJPY

In 1998 when it broke the top line, it calmed down at around 150. The next time it broke the line, it hit 135, which we've surpassed and that might be our "support" level going forward... ups and downs to 134/135 until we finally hit 150, and from there, it's going to be economic policy on the world stage that tells us where we go since it's all unprecedented as of now.

What hurt me is I bought a big chunk a few months ago when it hit 115.
I feel you...
This hurts the feels a bit cause I bought my house at 112... :cautious:
I converted $225,000 at 112 because it went to 116 and there were things going on in the US at that time that made the Yen stronger, with conditions pointing that it was only going to strengthen from there. It would be a difference of over 5 million yen at 135, enough for a new car and gas for an entire year (or more). I'm still glad I got the house of our dreams though, so can't really complain since the future is unwritten.

island cyclist

Founding Member
Impact
Depends on how many dollars the Bank of Japan has.
What may actually be happening behind the scenes is this:

1. Foreign travelers cash their currency into dollars at their country
2. The foreigners cash their dollars now for Japanese yen and now have more buying power here in Japan
3. The yen now makes foreign good about 30 % more expensive and put the whole world into a depression thanks to the evil sobs that wanted to create this mess.
4. Time to go fishing and have a garden, if you can that is.

canadian dollar with yen - Search

ウォッチリスト - MSN マネー

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Site Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karol.e