Adventure Two Alternatives to the Stairway to Heaven

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
While leaving the East China Sea Lookout stairway, I decided to drive up the hill farther. I ended up coming to a dead end. But, decided to get out as I saw something interesting on my Maps and followed Futenma's fence line to a Y, which took me to a jungle-like area where I found this.

I'm not quite certain what it is, and still trying to find that out, and why it's on the map.

According to MapMyRun to track elevation and distances for this post, it appears that I burned off an additional 75 calories in 1/2 mile! 😮

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
When I discovered one of the best hamburger gourmet shops on this island, Maverick, I looked around and I found this beauty.

I say that, because unlike the first two stairways, this is in more of a circuit which would allow for a nice HIIT routine. I believe it's anywhere from 200-250 meters around so it'd take a little more than 6 goes in order to make it a mile. However, in between, you're faced with either 71 steps up and 36 steps down or vice-versa, giving you a nice exercise.

And, if you eat at Maverick, you're gonna need that (at least a walk). 😅

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
This article was written with the intentions of getting out and exploring new places in Okinawan in order to stay fit and healthy while the Stairway to Heaven was under renovations.

Between the time the article was written, I found Kakazutakadai Park to have an incredible stairway up to its observatory overlooking MCAS Futenma, too.

A perk to this park is that there are two playgrounds to keep your kids busy while you can get to burning calories too!

The view looking up the Stairway to Heaven The view from atop the Stairway to Heaven

But, nothing will ever beat the Stairway to Heaven for its caloric burn on just one run.

Luckily it's back open to the public. But beware, a huge habu was recently spotted getting his stair climb in too!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Forum Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
paula yuki