INFO Taxes on beer and cigarettes to go up in October

chris

Founding Member
Do you by chance have a reference for this?

I know that taxes have gone from 8% to 10%, unless you used credit where it was still 8% until I believe June or July of 2020, giving cardholders a year of essentially saving 2%. However, that extended period is over and it's now 10% regardless. I think it just so happened to be coincidental to land in the middle of a pandemic, but the "red tag" signs were posted since around October 2019.
Some alcohol and tobacco prices to rise in Japan next month

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
This is why Japan is broke.
Moreover, the unemployment insurance system will be changed in October to allow people who leave their jobs of their own volition to receive benefits starting two months after unemployment instead of three months at present.
You should forfeit unemployment benefits if you choose to quit.

BBZ

saltwater addict
Founding Member
This is why Japan is broke.You should forfeit unemployment benefits if you choose to quit.
nope, there are more than a few what the Japanese have termed "black companies" or companies that cheat workers out of pay and time off. Some of them are big names, I support all worker's rights to walk away and not have to put up with the bullshit. Employees are a companies biggest asset and it's time companies learn this or suffer the consequences that we are seeing here and that is no one will work for them.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I'll have to look into that, @BBZ.

If that's the case, there should be legal recourse to obtain benefits. However, if it's not and the employee walks to walk, they should forfeit benefits. With how cordial Japanese are, I don't believe there'd be much fraud in regard to hopping around and getting benefits. Surely if one is on and off, the system could flag that worker as a serial antagonist, and they wouldn't receive them again unless they've been gainfully employed for something like 12 or more months.

island cyclist

Founding Member
Everything is done locally at the government office so fraud is going to be very well examined.
I wouldn't worry about fraud in this case.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
That’s just insane that you’re allowed to claim unemployment at all if you quit.
That's what I think as well. Even if corporations "force" you to quit by mistreating you, you still had the choice of applying there as well as quitting there. In my opinion, one could use that same energy and apply somewhere else, getting a new job as they were obviously qualified to work in the first place.

Bernice W

Founding Member
That's what I think as well. Even if corporations "force" you to quit by mistreating you, you still had the choice of applying there as well as quitting there. In my opinion, one could use that same energy and apply somewhere else, getting a new job as they were obviously qualified to work in the first place.
Exactly. I once left a position because they falsely represented what would be expected of me. After a few weeks of working myself do death trying to do what they’d told me I’d be doing as well as “a few extra things”, I left at lunch one day and went to the unemployment office. In Arkansas, at that time, the unemployment office was also the employment office. I went there to look for another job. This “few extra things” were actually enough to have kept another person busy for about 20 hours a week. This was the first and only time that I hadn’t given a two week notice that I was quitting. While I was at the unemployment office waiting to be seen, my boss walked out from the back and asked me why I was there. I told him that I’d quit. He asked why and I told him that what was expected of me was more than one person was capable of doing in a normal 40 hour week and they didn’t pay overtime. He said that I hadn’t thought it was a problem during my interview to which I told him that I was more than capable of doing everything he told me about during the interview. It was the “few extra things” that I wasn’t told about until after I’d stated that was the problem. I never did get my final paycheck from that jerk.
Regardless, I made the decision to quit and certainly had no right to unemployment even though I’d definitely been taken advantage of by the company.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I know that the military, to an extent such as those that leave with Honorable or General and nothing like Bad Conduct or Dishonorable, should be eligible for unemployment benefits because they left after completing a contractual agreement. However, for a lot that don't like the suck, this quote may hit home:
I once left a position because they falsely represented what would be expected of me.
Technically, you never "let" the military, you just didn't reenlist. As such, you should get 6 to 9 months in order to find work and/or adapt to a "new" life.

Speaking of military life, when mine ended, this is exactly it:
In Arkansas, at that time, the unemployment office was also the employment office. I went there to look for another job. This “few extra things” were actually enough to have kept another person busy for about 20 hours a week.
It took about 20 hours a week, minimum, to apply for jobs. Then another 20-30 hours preparing for interviews. I'm sure under another presidency, I would've had better luck. Nonetheless, I exhausted all my benefits because there was nothing out there, even a McDonald's cook after having served in the Marines as a cook.
Regardless, I made the decision to quit and certainly had no right to unemployment even though I’d definitely been taken advantage of by the company.
As much as this sucks, I do honestly believe that you forfeited your right to unemployment benefits. That said, there were other programs and even churches that you could've relied on to get through.

In the information age that we have now, I don't think that "black corporations" (as elegantly put by @BBZ) could exist as a person has free will to both choose to apply, knowing what they're getting themselves into, as well as free will to leave, with the latter giving those unemployment benefits... just like the military.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebeccamoyer