DISCUSS Starting an English school in Okinawa from scratch

island cyclist

Founding Member
One of the first things the wife told me when I arrived in Japan is this: Don't talk to other English teachers.
It was hard to understand why at the time, but over the years I found out that when they see me walking or riding the bike, they just turn their head and look the other way.
Funny thing is, in Thailand its the complete opposite. Japan makes people act strange. LOL

island cyclist

Founding Member
For me being here for nearly 3 decades, I've never formed friendships with other gaijins ( just one, but it was mostly "hi how are you and wife doing", small talk. Foreigners here in Yamaguchi are (white people that is) are fkn stuck up assholes. For real. But for foreigner type of Asians, friendly as all heck. Vietnamese and Chinese, I've talked to over the years. Philippinos are usually friendly too.

OP
chris

chris

Founding Member
Hey Chris, you sound like my wife. Although she might have been able to teach at a regular school, when we moved back to Japan, she was in her 40's and working for a private school is not all that secure when you hit the age of 40 in this country. At a public school, I don't know about that. And she too held a teachers license in English.
Of course, I'd like to find out what a cheap apartment would rent for. I mean just something that won't cave in to a typhoon. I'd actually like to live in Okinawa, but the wife isn't too keen to it. Right now with this virus wrecking havoc around the world and transportation back to the States is almost a no no at the present time, I'm stuck on this island and I've worked without much time off over the years and I just want to get out and see what I haven't seen. OK, hope to hear from ya.
How long have you been in Okinawa?
Hey Chris, you sound like my wife ( should i take this a compliment?:ROFLMAO:)
ok i will take a look around get some prices for you shouldnt be to hard and i have been living in okinawa 11 yrs now but before that i also lived here off and on plus i was stationed here 4 yrs which i chose to do i was so comfortable here

island cyclist

Founding Member
Hey Chris, you sound like my wife ( should i take this a compliment?:ROFLMAO:)
ok i will take a look around get some prices for you shouldnt be to hard and i have been living in okinawa 11 yrs now but before that i also lived here off and on plus i was stationed here 4 yrs which i chose to do i was so comfortable here

OK, thanks.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stacyredler