Park Stairway to Heaven

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
The Stairway to Heaven is in Chatan, Okinawa. It can easily be located as it's right outside Camp Foster's Firehouse Gate (Gate 3). It leads directly up 268 steps to the outer perimeter of Plaza Housing and is a grueling leg workout.

From the base, it doesn't look that tough. However, the steps are high, and it will give your legs a killer workout whether you walk it or run it. Depending on your activity level, you might need to do it more than once to get that burn in.

The view up the Stairway to Heaven in Chatan, Okinawa

But, bring water, especially if you bring your dog as there's nothing around! That is, except from maybe a vending machine or two down one of the side streets at the bottom.

The stunning view from the top of the Stairway to Heaven, which is dog-friendly too!

If you're traveling there in a SOFA sponsored vehicle (Y-plate), you must park on Camp Foster and make the rest of the trip to the Stairway to Heaven by foot.

No parking at the Stairway to Heaven for SOFA vehicles

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.
Address
Stairway to heaven, 207 Tamagami, Chatan, Okinawa, Japan
Coordinates
Map

Rob Oechsle

Did you hear of the guy named John,
Who climbed up those stairs before dawn?
He did it at night
To stay out of sight
'Cause he had his pajamas on!

A Pin Drop prodded me to go climb that dastardly "Stairway to Heaven". I've been looking at that long flight of steps for years, but always said, "Meh... I'll do it later". Well, "later" was tonight, on the spur of the moment, as I was actually headed somewhere else. Good thing I had a flashlight with me! Cheers!

View from the very top, looking over Camp Foster and the distant lights of Okinawa's beautiful skyline. The closed gate is right behind me.

Stairway to Heaven view of Camp Foster at night in the distance

Just my luck... another closed gate. "Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm going to eat worms !" Oh, well, I'll just turn around and go ALL THE WAY BACK DOWN to my car.

One... THREE... FOUR ??? Gimme a break. This and other lapses in our graffiti artist's math abilities caused me to dispute his big old "261" sprayed on the bottom step. Not that my own count of 264 is right, either. I was trying to count, take pictures, and watch out for snakes all at the same time! ^_^

Locked gate at the top of Stairway to Heaven leading to Plaza Housing

Shining my flashlight on the bottom of the stairs. Somebody sprayed 261 on the bottom step... however, I beg to differ, and counted 264.

The next photo shows the long flight of steps illuminated almost to the top!

Bottom of the Stairway to Heaven Stairway to Heaven illuminated at night

100...99...98...97... (huff...puff)... 96...95...

Oddly numbered stairs on the Stairway to Heaven

Ooooooo... MANHOLE COVERS !!! Hey, who doesn't love Okinawa manhole covers --- and the ones along these stairs are very rare. The foundry down in Nishihara only made relatively few of them have the English "SEWER".

Rare manhole cover with the English sewer term imprinted on it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Forum Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
Magrumshoney