• Looking to browse this site without ads? It's as easy as signing up for free!

DISCUSS South Park Beach, Itoman: Sunset

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Critique my photo?
Yes
Type of feedback?
Neutral, Harsh
Body
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Lens
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2
ISO
mm
Sunsets in Okinawa are fascinating to watch if you can catch them. Sometimes they drift slowly behind clouds on a rainy or cloudy day, always making their way to the East China Sea; they typically only spread rays of whites, but you can sometimes get a break and see some yellows in there. Either way, sunsets in Okinawa always seem to bring colors that you've never seen before, as just like a snowflake, each one is unique.

This sunset was captured at South Park Beach in Itoman, Okinawa. I could've taken the easier route and shoot this sunset the same as I have others: From the beach. However, I wanted to try something new with framing from a break in the plants. Though, I was in Av mode testing some shots (as you can clearly see by ISO 125). And amazingly, only got 2 shots in before it disappeared!

Shot with Canon 5D Mark IV and a Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2.
ISO 125; 111mm; ƒ/10; 1/125​

I'm not ready to pop directly into manual mode and start snapping shots yet, but, I'll get there. I need some sort of baseline before I can do manual work, which turns out better.

However, with this particular picture at infinity zoom, I think I could have shot it at ƒ/8 and gotten a 1/3rd extra stop of light, small but usable with that hefty lens. I would've still ignored that 1/3rd of light and moved to ISO 100 as I believe it wouldn't be that underexposed, would it? And if anything, I could crank up exposure in post-production. I would've used that 1/3rd to move from 1/125 of a second shutter speed to 1/160th. Not too much faster, but, when you're handholding a setup like that, motion blur could be subtly picked up (possibly, but doubtful with that lens).

I love shooting sunsets with zoom lenses as I started with a Canon 24-105 F4L USM (got that red ring 🔴;)) attached to a Canon T6i, which I've decided to keep and use a backup camera for outdoor shooting as it handles ISO, like any cheap kit cam, bad. I'd try to get 100 outdoor with it, but still, play it safe and go 400-800 and fix it up later.

Anyway, the T6i is a crop camera, meaning, there's a crop factor of 1.6x. So when I put on that 24mm-105mm, it essentially became a decent general-purpose lens for starting out (and a keeper for my bag now) as it would be 38mm-168mm. That lens gave me a nice wide to arguably, a telephoto.

Now, with the Canon 5D MK IV, it's merely a 24 (pretty wide) to 105mm lens. I had to replace my zoom/telephoto with the Tamron 70-200, which was not a bad tradeoff at all! 😁

However, in both lenses, there are too many moving parts (glass, elements, etc.) in a zoom lens.

I need a prime lens that's more narrow than 24mm and can open wider than ƒ/4. Luckily, for now, I have a Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD to fill that 38mm that I once had on the crop, but the Irix 15mm F2.4 Blackstone is definitely going in my bag for a multitude of reasons. It can be used year-round for architecture as well as the Milky Way in Okinawa, which we'll cover when the time comes (astrophotography is one of the easiest things to do, and, the Milky Way is one one the easiest to photograph, even with an iPhone, but the coloring comes in post).

Anyway, back on topic about this particular sunset. I just think I should have shot it at ISO 100, 1/160th and ƒ/8 out the gate or moved back as you can see the leaves quite clear towards the ocean and I wanted them all blurred out. I would've also twisted my body in the direction of the sun's reflection so that it was drifting towards me. But, with sunsets, you only have 1 time; fortunately 1 time per day! 😌

If I could 'see' manual like photographers with years of experience, I could've easily gotten 2-3 more shots. It takes time, but, I'll get there!

Photographers of Okinawa, UNITE and start posting your individual phots in the Okinawa Photographers forum to be critiqued, or in our Media Gallery to be forever saved! We'll have a couple of settings when you post after your camera bag on how you want your critique and we expect all to follow that, too (some people can't handle the harsh truth upfront and need it a little less bluntly put).

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
R253