Opinion Sick and tired of buying new headphones...

html:title
Audio Technica - ATH-WS660BT - Why I like them...

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I'm sick and tired of buying new headphones as the wires seem to break over and over. It's $10-$20 each time for a decent pair that deliver all the frequencies to make audiophiles be able to tolerate them.

The latest pair I got was about $15 as I only intended to use them on my inpatient stay last month and didn't even make it to next month when it was rescheduled to. This is because they often bent too far at the connector and eventually, just gave out.

Bent wire that ruined another pair of headphones...

So, I decided to finally pony up and invest—yes, I said invest as I don't see these breaking as quickly—in a robust over-ear headphone unit, the Audio Technica ath-ws660bt for a cool 14,300 yen ($135.65).

Audio Technica ATH-WS660BT box

With "bt" at the end of the model name, you might've guessed it: They're wireless and run over Bluetooth. However, they are also wired in the instance that you run out of the 30-35 hours of juice they provide.

The dual sided 3.5mm wire included with the Audio Technica ATH-WS660BT

This wire is bent at an angle so they should work perfectly on a PC. However, if the wire breaks, I can always replace it with another 3.5mm wire for like a hundred yen if I don't have a Bluetooth compatible device.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

Felix

Founding Member
I'm sick and tired of buying new headphones as the wires seem to break over and over. It's $10-$20 each time for a decent pair that deliver all the frequencies to make audiophiles be able to tolerate them.

The latest pair I got was about $15 as I only intended to use them on my inpatient stay last month and didn't even make it to next month when it was rescheduled to. This is because they often bent too far at the connector and eventually, just gave out.

So, I decided to finally pony up and invest—yes, I said invest as I don't see these breaking as quickly—in a robust over-ear headphone unit, the Audio Technica ath-ws660bt for a cool 14,300 yen ($135.65).

With "bt" at the end of the model name, you might've guessed it: They're wireless and run over Bluetooth. However, they are also wired in the instance that you run out of the 30-35 hours of juice they provide.

This wire is bent at an angle so they should work perfectly on a PC. However, if the wire breaks, I can always replace it with another 3.5mm wire for like a hundred yen if I don't have a Bluetooth compatible device.
Now I know how you feel sir. There is an earphone thats 360 degree wiring and unbreakable that comes highly recommended instead of big bulky earphones the size of those used in the 1970's and they are Audio Technica and I will give you a glimpse of them and they are very flexible and even the plug jack is flexible for non breakable ear phones. And they sound very nice as well. Now I think i just gave my job away as I travel sales all over okinawa and though I am an old man doesn't mean I can't sell you something there young lad!

Audio Technica ATH-CK350 Stereo Headphones Manual | HiFi Engine

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Audio Technica ATH-CK350 Stereo Headphones Manual | HiFi Engine
These look pretty nice, except I hate being tied down to having only a wire, as to why I was in search of something that was wireless and could be wired in the event that it needed to be (i.e., no battery and have a 3.5mm jack). That said, the next mobile device I get (The Samsung, probably Note "20" with 5G [if they follow the naming versions they did with the Galaxy]) won't have a 3.5mm plug so I will need wireless headphones.

There are very few wireless headphones that are compact in size for the battery storage, like my Jaybird X3s that I loved, and so did this cat as he made a toy of them.

My cat Mickey

I'll get this type for being out and about, but I do like over-ear and in-ear headphones as no matter which pair I get, they get uncomfortable resting over the ear or uncomfortable in the ear and swap between the two if using headphones for prolonged use.

I'd like to see the cord of those that you recommended though... not very many come with a connector that lasts to bending very long these days. If they bend, I might throw them in my toolbox as an in-ear that feels slightly different and use them while on my computer as nothing else I have has a 3.5mm jack (except my Note 9, but that's gone in January when I can upgrade).

Felix

Founding Member
These look pretty nice, except I hate being tied down to having only a wire, as to why I was in search of something that was wireless and could be wired in the event that it needed to be (i.e., no battery and have a 3.5mm jack). That said, the next mobile device I get (The Samsung, probably Note "20" with 5G [if they follow the naming versions they did with the Galaxy]) won't have a 3.5mm plug so I will need wireless headphones.

There are very few wireless headphones that are compact in size for the battery storage, like my Jaybird X3s that I loved, and so did this cat as he made a toy of them.

My cat Mickey

I'll get this type for being out and about, but I do like over-ear and in-ear headphones as no matter which pair I get, they get uncomfortable resting over the ear or uncomfortable in the ear and swap between the two if using headphones for prolonged use.

I'd like to see the cord of those that you recommended though... not very many come with a connector that lasts to bending very long these days. If they bend, I might throw them in my toolbox as an in-ear that feels slightly different and use them while on my computer as nothing else I have has a 3.5mm jack (except my Note 9, but that's gone in January when I can upgrade).
I would be happy to look into the nicest pair of wireless for you and compact

Felix

Founding Member

My cat Mickey

I found these for you as they are a new and upcoming company in Japan they come highly recommended I hope you have translation capabilities
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/mobileselect/aviot_te-d01gv/

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I found these for you as they are a new and upcoming company in Japan they come highly recommended I hope you have translation capabilities
Even though within the price range, I've decided against single earbuds no matter what.

I know me and I can barely find my keys at times. :LOL:

I'd give it a week before I lost a bud or my cat turned it into a toy, kicking it off the table and into a black hole. They really need to invent ones that ring loud on a 'find' setting, supposing they still have battery life—but ought to save 1%~ of capacity for this mode—before I invest in any separated buds. Until then, they've got to be wired and compact—not a huge battery imprint somewhere on the connecting cable that has USB port to charge, making it even larger.