DISCUSS Shikuwasa Seeds [Expired]

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
My wife was just talking about this about a week ago... well, not this, but shikuwasa.

Seems that she can't find any in the grocery stores as of late. I was thinking that they might be out of season now?

OP
M

meandiet

Impact
Oh, interesting. My Valencia Oranges are just now turning ripe and bright orange here in California. I don’t remember what month the Shikuwasa ripen in Okinawa.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
As a long-term resident, it never really occurred to me that they're seasonal. Perhaps though, it's because we weren't in a position to enjoy them every day like we have been the past summer or so pinched into our water.

I will be on the lookout and remember this thread for if they pop up, and see if they're actually exportable as a whole, and maybe send some fresh ones overnight—which might cost an arm.

I'll also be on the lookout in the floral departments to see whether they sell seeds in a pack.

OP
M

meandiet

Impact
My grandmother in Nakijin had a tree that was a powerful producer. It seemed like it always had fruit when I was a kid.

Thank you for hunting down some seeds. If it becomes a burden, I wouldn’t feel bad if you abandon the mission. It’s been many years for me, but my childhood impression was that they were growing all over the place in Okinawa—I remember my mom’s friends always having them, too. I guess they aren’t as abundant as I thought! But, if you do find some, I will gladly refund you plus send you enough $ to get you an A&W root beer for yourself! The A&W fountain root beers in California taste nothing like they did in Okinawa!

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
Thank you for hunting down some seeds. If it becomes a burden, I wouldn’t feel bad if you abandon the mission.
Not a problem. Just keeping it on the back of my head for when I am out, not necessarily going out of my way to hunt them down. :)
The A&W fountain root beers in California taste nothing like they did in Okinawa!
Yeah. There definitely is a taste difference between sodas sold here and there, with A&W being a good example. Dr. Pepper, and if you can find, Mountain Dew, are two others that taste slightly different, and in my opinion, better.

OP
M

meandiet

Impact
Looking at this site, it sounds like Mikan season is October through January in Motobu. 6 Images from a Mikan Orchard in Motobu Okinawa

If there are no Shikuwasa around, I wonder if it was just an unproductive year for them. My Kumquat and Valencia trees were not as abundant this year as compared to a couple years back. 🤷‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Site Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanesal