Critique my photo?
Yes
Type of feedback?
Positive, Neutral, Harsh
Body
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Lens
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2
The last Tuesday Treat (a weekly series of one photo released on Tuesday) of a landing Tokyo 2020 painted JAL Boeing 767 landing at Naha International Airport at the peak of Senaga Island was quite the learning experience for me. This is because I am in the midst of shifting to use manual mode, no longer relying on any automatic settings until I get the foundations of manual down pat.

I couldn't tell you how many planes came in and shutter slaps I heard to get it right. But, here's a quick breakdown on how I figured out how to get the correct exposure for airplanes landing, and I hope this can help you shoot moving objects as well as everyday photography, too. (I am by all means no expert...)
ISO-100 is key, right? A lot less noise, if any at all, on a Canon 5D Mark IV. I try to shoot at that when I can, by adjusting shutter speeds and using a tripod or steadily handholding it to where I can get below 1/160, even with a hunk of a lens like a 70-200mm.

So, I started snapping away with the settings of ISO 100 at 1/400 and ƒ/8. The exposure was great, but I couldn't quite grasp the blur. Shouldn't the plane freeze at this shutter speed and give me a readable tail number? Apparently not as they come in landing far faster than I had thought.

1/400; ƒ/8; ISO-100

I still wanted to keep ISO-100, so I adjusted to 1/1250 with the same settings. This resulted in a photo underexposed, but the plane was frozen. Exactly how I wanted it!

Knowing that this would be okay as I could bring most of the detail back, and since it was just a plane, I didn't need to care for overexposing some of the whites on the paint—until I thought about portraiture works with people wearing white, when I questioned whether that was the lazy/wrong way out or not. Additionally, you can't really tell in camera how much you can bring back so the entire shoot could be a loss.

In this instance, I could leave it as is with it coming out underexposed (left) and do post-production for the correct exposure (middle) to bringing it out in its finest details, except a bit overexposed in some parts (right).

UnderexposedCorrect ExposureLittle Blown Out
Straight from camera
Post-production, correct exposure
Post-production, over-exposed
However, I needed more light to make sure the photos turned out how I wanted. I knew I couldn't get a stop or light from the aperture without losing the depth I was going for and through trial and error and I couldn't get a stop from the shutter speed without causing, once again, blur. But I knew my camera could hold up to a stop from ISO-200 over ISO-100 without basically any added noise.

Making that one small adjustment, after many errors in between, corrected my issue and I came out with the desired photo of a plane representing the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, seen above!

Helicopters are a bit different, though. Sometimes you want to slow down that shutter speed to get the blades rotating... That'll be for another day!

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
Zioncardenas