DISCUSS Okinawa's most popular beer taps military ties to US

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
Prior to reading this news, I thought that I was the only one after EAS'ing from the military in 2008 to be surprised to find a quinte liquor store back in my hometown stocked with Orion beer. It was a must-have at the time and I stocked up on it despite the $3-$4 per can cost as it "connected" me to Okinawa, until I could relocate once again just a couple months later.

Hopefully, the new business deal is just that: Business and not sacrificing the quality of the brew so that it can continue to be enjoyed outside of Okinawa as intended.

It'd be a shame if they watered it down or changed the recipe as we, for the most part, have grown accustomed to the flavors behind it. The best example of this that I can come up with is watered-down Budweiser in the States, but the import, I believe brewed here, being a tad-bit more flavorful—there's something about the Japanese version that makes it bearable. Having an opposite effect may very well be the end of Orion sales overseas if tourists get a taste of it while they're in Okinawa.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Forum Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
fortesque95