• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
We've been sitting on implementing a shoutbox on Okinawa.Org for a while now. We don't know if it would get much use here or not, or, whether it would have a purpose above what the forums could provide. Is this an option that we should turn on?

Okinawa.Org shoutbox and chatroom

If anything, the only way we would see it being used is for users to quick-share items on or off of Okinawa.Org as opposed to creating a thread, which we would hope would come later for a more in-depth discussion that could fit in any area of the forum. As it's a 1-room chatroom, it would, of course, be "off-topic" with anything goes to spark those conversations to be built upon in the threads.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

island cyclist

Founding Member
What is it ?
anything goes is cool
we can talk about all the silliness we see around us, like people (koreans ) cutting in line at the grocery stores and think nothing of it LOL

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
What is it ?
anything goes is cool
we can talk about all the silliness we see around us, like people (koreans ) cutting in line at the grocery stores and think nothing of it LOL
Just thinking about expanding the site without the utilization of other areas first is not a good measure.

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
Anyway, its a great idea to keep the forum active.
If anything, we would probably only implement it for logged in users to see as it would be quick content for Google to catch and that could become problematic if they come crawling at the wrong time, i.e., before we could clean it up.

island cyclist

Founding Member
You could make it "private" folder. I would at least do it that way. It will then only draw in people that see what is available and comment or add new topics. And keep it a distance from the main part of the forum. Should not be hard to program it.

chris

Founding Member
Consider me dumb like rainman dumb because i have no idea what you guys are talking about lol. if i got this straight its a chat room where you type and the other person types back kind of a thing chat, shoutbox, as you call it?

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
Consider me dumb like rainman dumb because i have no idea what you guys are talking about lol. if i got this straight its a chat room where you type and the other person types back kind of a thing chat, shoutbox, as you call it?
Exactly like a chatroom, minus separate rooms.

If separate rooms are desired when we get large enough, we may consider that. However, we'd prefer the use of Okinawa Forum to share ideas over a chatroom.

island cyclist

Founding Member
Exactly like a chatroom, minus separate rooms.

If separate rooms are desired when we get large enough, we may consider that. However, we'd prefer the use of Okinawa Forum to share ideas over a chatroom.

Why don't you go with a live video chat or type room. You can get it free with advertisers on your chat room. It is really cool when you have adults talking about their hobbies and travels and so on.

chris

Founding Member
Why don't you go with a live video chat or type room. You can get it free with advertisers on your chat room. It is really cool when you have adults talking about their hobbies and travels and so on.
A: I don't have a webcam and i don't want one lol
B: Typing is fine with me lol
C: We all need to talk to each other live anyway. Bet that will be a blast

OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
We don't think live video chat would be popular at all as this is a pseudo-anonymous forum (@chris could change his username at any moment and confuse a lot of people or Jane Doe could sign up as JillyA; we don't care about your real name, just your birthday to comply with COPA [Child Online Protection Act]).

For those that do like video chat, we do have a media gallery that can be utilized to (one day directly upload and) share YouTube videos of their channels doing Okinawa explorations or vlogs. We suppose if a user wanted to go live, we could also approve of the video when they are about to go live if they schedule it with us prior to the day. Either way, the live video feed would eventually turn into a video and still remain in our gallery though.

chris

Founding Member
We don't think live video chat would be popular at all as this is a pseudo-anonymous forum (@chris could change his username at any moment and confuse a lot of people or Jane Doe could sign up as JillyA; we don't care about your real name, just your birthday to comply with COPA [Child Online Protection Act]).

For those that do like video chat, we do have a media gallery that can be utilized to (one day directly upload and) share YouTube videos of their channels doing Okinawa explorations or vlogs. We suppose if a user wanted to go live, we could also approve of the video when they are about to go live if they schedule it with us prior to the day. Either way, the live video feed would eventually turn into a video and still remain in our gallery though.
I agree live video chat is not for me and i would pass on it. (plus if my saw i was talking to some girl for example in a chat room :ROFLMAO: did you guys ever see a laptop smashed into a million pieces? :ROFLMAO: I do have an extremely jealous wife ya know.)
I agree that a chat room with typing is fine and a good idea!

island cyclist

Founding Member
a chat room comes with both features when you have advertisers on it
actually a live video chat room is well worth having
true, some people won't want it, but as the world changes, so does the people with insight on what it takes to have a successful forum

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebeccamoyer