DISCUSS Okinawa Ghost Stories

OP
Elizabeth Gomez

Elizabeth Gomez

Guest Blogger
My husband was running the perimeter of the island with a group of Marines. They had rented a van and were doing five miles each and to make up 238 miles to celebrate that year. When they were up North and in the middle of nowhere, like really nowhere, my husband said he was running at night and noticed a woman walking in the grass, seemingly talking on a phone. But it was quiet and there was no one around and no houses and no place she could have come from or gone to and no cars and she made no sound...

Steve Hall

Some background information: Senaga Shima was part of Naha Air Base before the reversion. I was a Security Policeman with the 51st Security Police Squadron in 19671968. At the top of the island, where the hotel now stands, the Air Force had a secured munitions storage area. It was guarded 24/7 by Security Policemen.
The legend: It was said that hundreds of years ago, a Chinese official came to visit Okinawa. He evidently fell in love with an Okinawan princess and "wanted" her, but she refused him. He was very angry and pursued her anyway. He kidnapped her and took her to Senaga Shima, but before he could have his way with her, the princess's bodyguards chased after them and captured the Chinese official. The bodyguards were about to cut off his head when the Chinese official cursed her and told her that when she died, she would not rest in peace until she had found his head. As the legend is told, the ghost of "Senaga Shima Sally" (the GI's name for her) wanders around the little island at night searching for his head. It is said that several guards saw her in the/around the munitions storage area. Some were so scared by the apparition that they absolutely refused to be assigned to that area. I was told that another guard emptied a clip of .45 caliber ammo on her spiritual form when he saw her. Personally, I never saw her and think its just a "ghost story", but I stood guard duty in that area at least twice a week and I will tell you that at O-Dark-Thirty, when the wind whistled though the sights of my M-16, it sounded like someone crying to me and I got the good case of the heebie-jeebies.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Some background information: Senaga Shima was part of Naha Air Base before the reversion
Living so close to Senaga Island, this is something that I didn't even know. I thought it was just a protected site this whole time.
At the top of the island, where the hotel now stands, the Air Force had a secured munitions storage area.
So the Japanese gave it up to the Americans to use?
As the legend is told, the ghost of "Senaga Shima Sally" (the GI's name for her) wanders around the little island at night searching for his head.
Never heard this one...
I was told that another guard emptied a clip of .45 caliber ammo on her spiritual form when he saw her.
This doesn't sound too safe and I wonder what happened to that guard when he reported his spent ammo. :oops:
I will tell you that at O-Dark-Thirty, when the wind whistled though the sights of my M-16, it sounded like someone crying to me and I got the good case of the heebie-jeebies.
Thanks for the great Okinawa ghost story! 😄

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Forum Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
fortesque95