OP
Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
July 31, 2020 @ 1817 -- There were 71 COVID-19 infections found in Okinawa among 295 administrative tests which 31 were confirmed positive; additionally, there were 40 in health care.

cici

Hi everyone,
I am confused again as I read an OP from one of your members here about the Okinawa Covid Countermeasures website on information about the newest cases. In this website it appears as if Okinawa stopped giving information on cases on 7/28. Did these cases happen or not? Why are things hidden? Also I am wondering by a thread made that Okinawa was virus free for months and these so called nightlife restaurants had been in business during that period without a single positive case registered. Anyone know why all of a sudden this happens? Also why is Osaka's Governor who got turned down by Prime Minister Abe for trying to get his own power to do what he wants with his Prefecture for Covid restrictions and shutdowns and on 7/30 Osaka, Tokyo, and Okinawa Governors had a meeting and after that meeting all of a sudden cases jump sky high? This information was posted on NHK website. Why stop all information if these infections are real? Why are these three Prefectures acting together putting high volume positive case numbers on the media with no explanation other than so called nightlife finger pointing and cause for infections?

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
In this website it appears as if Okinawa stopped giving information on cases on 7/28.
The Okinawa prefecture website updates almost daily, with the exception of weekends, to have a patient number, residency, age, occupation, and route of transmission. It's all in Japanese, but the published PDF files translate quite well. This is the best source for learning on a case by case basis.

I've posted the link several posts back, but if you'd like to dig through the most accurate updates:
新型コロナウイルス感染症患者・無症状病原体保有者の発生について/沖縄県
(Last updated on July 31)

If you'd like more info on any specific ID, post here and we'll alleviate the translation errors. :)
Okinawa was virus free for months and these so called nightlife restaurants had been in business during that period without a single positive case registered. Anyone know why all of a sudden this happens?
It's because Japan introduced a GoTo domestic travel campaign. Likely because every other prefecture was inundated with infections, people chose to come here instead. It's only a theory at this point until Okinawa tourist numbers are published and compared to previous months.
Why are these three Prefectures acting together putting high volume positive case numbers on the media with no explanation other than so called nightlife finger pointing and cause for infections?
It's easier to blame nightlife—of potential domestic carriers—than admit political and a huge financial fault of GoTo. They will find anything they can use over GoTo as a scapegoat.

island cyclist

Founding Member
I'd like to chime in on this a bit.
1. I live in Yamaguchi Prefecture
2. We have Ube Yamaguchi Airport here servicing Tokyo. ( maybe other planes come in from other parts of Japan here, don't know at the time of writing this ) (someone want to follow up on this )
3. We have 3 Shinkansen stops here. 1. Shin-Yamaguchi 2. Asa 3. Shin-Shimonoseki
4. So here in Yamaguchi we don't have really a mega international business culture ( not entirely true though )
5. With all these people coming in from 4 entrance place ( not including car travel ) around Japan, why is it that we normally only have none or up to 3 cases on a daily bases here.
6. We also have one of the newest addition to Yamaguchi University hospital and it is probably only one of 2 places in Yamaguchi where corona virus patients are treated. ( please note this, hospital location of corona virus patients are keep out of the general population, no one knows but the hospital staff and here the staff are not allowed to speak. I know, this is the truth).
7. So with one of the finest hospitals in Japan, lets say that one patient is here. Why all is everything closing down?
8. You get this crazy virus, you live or you don't.
9. The real news of this virus and how it lingers on after being tested negative is now being told on TV. This virus for many people DOES NOT go away.
10. Most importantly , why haven't we heard anything about the W.H.O. that was to go to China recently.
11. Chris here and our new member (which I hope he sticks around ) @Cycle Guy have brought out some real good points and their threads in my opinion are well worth the reading.
12. The States are saying this is a political game.
13. Japanese (some ) feel this is nothing more then a political power grab, but the elections are over with here.
14. So, my question really is this: What the hell is going on?

and yes, I'm very pissed about this BS. I had planned for one year to be in Okinawa cycling now around the island

I can only say this: screw China, don't buy their freak'n shite any more.

cici

The Okinawa prefecture website updates almost daily, with the exception of weekends, to have a patient number, residency, age, occupation, and route of transmission. It's all in Japanese, but the published PDF files translate quite well. This is the best source for learning on a case by case basis.

I've posted the link several posts back, but if you'd like to dig through the most accurate updates:
新型コロナウイルス感染症患者・無症状病原体保有者の発生について/沖縄県
(Last updated on July 31)

If you'd like more info on any specific ID, post here and we'll alleviate the translation errors. :)

It's because Japan introduced a GoTo domestic travel campaign. Likely because every other prefecture was inundated with infections, people chose to come here instead. It's only a theory at this point until Okinawa tourist numbers are published and compared to previous months.

It's easier to blame nightlife—of potential domestic carriers—than admit political and a huge financial fault of GoTo. They will find anything they can use over GoTo as a scapegoat.
Hello and Thank you for the information and unfortunately the link you so generously provided has a wealth of information but an odd reality the PDF files do not translate at all in the Microsoft Edge Browser unless downloaded and then translated which is an eternity to accomplish. Any other suggestions on quick material would be helpful? As to reference of the travel that has been widely conversed here I am also in agreement with yourself and others who have shared their thoughts on this subject. However I am in disagreement with the Generation of the younger people being solely responsible for acts of carrying and spreading of a pathogen and the dislike it is generating with the older public solely for the purpose to hide a failed campaign.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
an odd reality the PDF files do not translate at all in the Microsoft Edge Browser unless downloaded and then translated which is an eternity to accomplish
What I do is open up two tabs in a browser: one of the PDF and one for Google Translate. I copy and paste each patient over, translating from Japanese to English. However, some text doesn't translate well natively, and we'd be glad to assist if you have any questions regarding that.

However I am in disagreement with the Generation of the younger people being solely responsible for acts of carrying and spreading of a pathogen and the dislike it is generating with the older public solely for the purpose to hide a failed campaign.
Matsuyama, if you're not aware of the area, is filled with people of all ages, from teens in alcohol-free "bars" to elderly in old fashion style snack bars; there's something for everyone of all demographics (being Japanese only) there. Therefore, a hypothetical domestic traveler that is a carrier of COVID-19 from Tokyo could easily find an establishment to enjoy themselves, even if they're far into their 70s.

cici

I'd like to chime in on this a bit.
1. I live in Yamaguchi Prefecture
2. We have Ube Yamaguchi Airport here servicing Tokyo. ( maybe other planes come in from other parts of Japan here, don't know at the time of writing this ) (someone want to follow up on this )
3. We have 3 Shinkansen stops here. 1. Shin-Yamaguchi 2. Asa 3. Shin-Shimonoseki
4. So here in Yamaguchi we don't have really a mega international business culture ( not entirely true though )
5. With all these people coming in from 4 entrance place ( not including car travel ) around Japan, why is it that we normally only have none or up to 3 cases on a daily bases here.
6. We also have one of the newest addition to Yamaguchi University hospital and it is probably only one of 2 places in Yamaguchi where corona virus patients are treated. ( please note this, hospital location of corona virus patients are keep out of the general population, no one knows but the hospital staff and here the staff are not allowed to speak. I know, this is the truth).
7. So with one of the finest hospitals in Japan, lets say that one patient is here. Why all is everything closing down?
8. You get this crazy virus, you live or you don't.
9. The real news of this virus and how it lingers on after being tested negative is now being told on TV. This virus for many people DOES NOT go away.
10. Most importantly , why haven't we heard anything about the W.H.O. that was to go to China recently.
11. Chris here and our new member (which I hope he sticks around ) @Cycle Guy have brought out some real good points and their threads in my opinion are well worth the reading.
12. The States are saying this is a political game.
13. Japanese (some ) feel this is nothing more then a political power grab, but the elections are over with here.
14. So, my question really is this: What the hell is going on?

and yes, I'm very pissed about this BS. I had planned for one year to be in Okinawa cycling now around the island

I can only say this: screw China, don't buy their freak'n shite any more.
Hello Mr. cyclist and may I point out this is a mighty long list of thoughts and getting your point across.
The answer to the big question that you have laid out, Is this virus a political game? There is no doubt in my mind that this virus is nothing more than a game. But this game also has it's very own activated counter measures. The game is being played by our politicians but in front of the game is also an illusion or mask hence then name Covid-19. People of the world are looking into the Virus only seeing a virus but as other writers, and media commentators have said in the past, There is a hidden part in the center of this virus that cannot be seen with the naked eye. Broken down comes to reality that there is something behind this virus that politicians do not want the eyes of their citizens to see and that's why you have daily cases everyday and new twists and turns that this virus keeps playing.
Until a great journalist or head strong reporter can sneak into and get past that wall of illusion and get to the center of the real reason behind this virus, I am afraid to say that we are all inclined to be at the mercy of Covid-19 for the rest of our lives. Frustration, anger, and war will only come of this until there is the immunization of the placebo drug to pass out to the world.

cici

What I do is open up two tabs in a browser: one of the PDF and one for Google Translate. I copy and paste each patient over, translating from Japanese to English. However, some text doesn't translate well natively, and we'd be glad to assist if you have any questions regarding that.

Matsuyama, if you're not aware of the area, is filled with people of all ages, from teens in alcohol-free "bars" to elderly in old fashion style snack bars; there's something for everyone of all demographics (being Japanese only) there. Therefore, a hypothetical domestic traveler that is a carrier of COVID-19 from Tokyo could easily find an establishment to enjoy themselves, even if they're far into their 70s.
I am aware of the Mastuyama district but not familiar as I am fairly new to Okinawa and i do not know the area well enough yet. Yet again i see the word " TRAVEL" come to shine in replies. It is unbelievable thinking for politicians, on how you can go to different levels of alert with Covid, and possibly shut down people's live's as well, then turn around and report to the Media about how infections are increasing but you can still travel on you daily business trips to and from, vacation for some, play time for others, and all of this is acceptable behavior and is encouraged. Rational thinking does not apply in this part of the world.
Thank You as I will try my hand with PDF to GOOGLE. The Okinawa Counter measure Website Covid-19 display would have been an easy avenue but as I indicated the site stopped displaying information on 7/28. Bad funding I guess.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
It is unbelievable thinking for politicians, on how you can go to different levels of alert with Covid, and possibly shut down people's live's as well, then turn around and report to the Media about how infections are increasing but you can still travel on you daily business trips to and from, vacation for some, play time for others, and all of this is acceptable behavior and is encouraged.
As we are now in level 3, this type of behavior is highly discouraged. I'll bet my bottom dollar that large corporations that have a type of structure requiring travel are now going to video or teleconferencing, at least in Okinawa. It's a societal thing in Japan to follow encouragements, as it's unconstitutional to restrict movement completely, and people have a lot more respect for following rules, even if they're not law.
Okinawa Counter measure Website Covid-19 display would have been an easy avenue but as I indicated the site stopped displaying information on 7/28. Bad funding I guess.
When they first launched, we tried to partner to share resources. Maybe Monday will be a good time to reach out to them again to see if they need more staffing or assistance so that we can share information as it arises since Okinawa.Org cannot cover everything and they may have talking points that we can use above just counts.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I couldn't reference the 50-53% hospital occupancy rate earlier on as I tried to find the source and failed, but with the new spike in the second wave of COVID-19, we are now over 100%, sitting at 104.2%.

This is not good news, at all.

Okinawa is now in a dire situation when it comes to coronavirus care and the system may fail as there are still 22 asymptomatic people waiting to be admitted... which makes me question where they are and if they are out there spreading it more.

Oddly enough, the governor is stating that we can't let the medical system collapse, while still allowing the GoTo travel campaign to continue during a level 3 epidemic infectious stage.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
They've now put out articles saying it's 58.
Yeah,

I presume there's a leak to the media somewhere as they're being very vague with numbers when released earlier on, i.e. the last report was "70" or "in the 70s" and later confirmed to be 71, but later reports are confirmed by Okinawa Prefecture and we update the timeline here with those. However, we do post the preliminary numbers separately as they have been pretty close and give a good idea of where we're headed.

Reactions: Mac

Mac

Founding Member
Yeah,

I presume there's a leak to the media somewhere as they're being very vague with numbers when released earlier on, i.e. the last report was "70" or "in the 70s" and later confirmed to be 71, but later reports are confirmed by Okinawa Prefecture and we update the timeline here with those. However, we do post the preliminary numbers separately as they have been pretty close and give a good idea of where we're headed.
I like how it says "According to several people" in the estimates. Trying to make it sound like the info is coming from multiple sources.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I like how it says "According to several people" in the estimates. Trying to make it sound like the info is coming from multiple sources.
My suspicion is that it's either a coverup for a single leak or there are several people to make the number more credible to run with prior to the government making an announcement.

island cyclist

Founding Member
My suspicion is that it's either a coverup for a single leak or there are several people to make the number more credible to run with prior to the government making an announcement.

Yes, that is my thoughts also.
Monday we'll hear not only about Okinawa, but mainland too.

By the way, what stage is the mainland in?

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
By the way, what stage is the mainland in?
You'll probably know before good ole forgotten Okinawa. :)

Last time they called a state of emergency for Japan, it came across our TV as an alert and maybe 10 minutes later it was electronically published on the web by our print media, Okinawa Times and Ryukyu Shimpo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
Leighannreid