What? My daughter's big day tomorrow...

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
After 9 years, she's finally getting US citizenship and a SSN with a lovely emergency visit to the Consulate (in front of the line) due to my inpatient stay; with all these clusters, if anything happens, she will be the only one that can unlock my assets outside of Japan...

She never needed it before, but, we'll get it and she can decide to do what she wants with it when she's older.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

Felix

Founding Member
After 9 years, she's finally getting US citizenship and a SSN with a lovely emergency visit to the Consulate (in front of the line) due to my inpatient stay; with all these clusters, if anything happens, she will be the only one that can unlock my assets outside of Japan...

She never needed it before, but, we'll get it and she can decide to do what she wants with it when she's older.
Champagne Anyone! Very lovely indeed.

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Champagne Anyone! Very lovely indeed.
I probably would've never done it unless she expressed that she wanted to study abroad later in life and citizenship now would be the easier route over a student visa then. It's really only about the 'what if' now as it'd be easier (and a hell of a lot quicker) to get my daughter citizenship and a social security number so that she could be my beneficiary than my wife.

My wife doesn't even desire citizenship or a base ID; she'd gladly turn her base ID back in, but, then I'd have to sign her on if I needed to get gas and she was with me. :LOL:

There are far and few women in-between that want one or the other, or both, depending on where you met them.

Speaking of which, I still have 3 forms to complete so after I finish this Tuesday Treat, I'm off for the night. :)

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I brought all the necessary forms with me to the U.S. Consulate General Naha today.

While one of the workers was looking over the documentation, they said that it might not be enough as it lacked my high-school transcripts and a high-school diploma might not be able to prove my existence in the States for that long as there is distance education (though, definitely not in my era and I'm only 32)—my heart sank as I knew it'd be another emergency visit planned out at a later date too.

However, my official copy of my high-school diploma was with my orders to MCRD San Diego package / MEPS paperwork that is about 50 or so pages long. They asked the Consulate officer if anything in that pack would work to prove my residency in the States for my daughter to qualify or I would have had to get my school to send me official transcripts, again.

I don't know what worked—perhaps my work history prior to joining the Marines? But, it worked.

My wife and I affirmed that everything was as accurate as possible and swore to it.

I'm unsure if that makes my daughter a US citizen now or whether she is one after she gets the passport along with a potential Consular Report of Birth Abroad (a birth certificate of sorts from what I can tell) in the mail or until she gets a Social Security number issued from the Social Security Administration section of the Embassy in Mainland Japan. Nonetheless, she's on her way to truly being half/half (instead of by blood only)! :)

...a little pricier than I wanted to pay as it was $215 and she doesn't necessarily need a U.S. passport which could've reduced the fees... but, whatever it takes, I guess.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackjackMidnite