What? Microsoft IOS; What are you using?

chris

Founding Member
Hey there everyone, since January 14, 2020 Microsoft and it's brilliant team of minions decided they would stop supporting the best operating system they ever had, yes i'm talking about Windows 7.

1589869326155.png

Now after this stupid decision by Microsoft they gave you Windows 10 which is my book is horrible and it's just another version of Win 8 with a makeover, but with the future must come new things and my question is what is everyone using today? Are you a Win 10 user or a loyal Win 7 user still or maybe your still using XP (god bless you). Ok so like me i'm old fashion and i still use a laptop or in my case laptops but i am also poor and i am using old outdated laptops that i rebuilt and they are just as fast as store bought ones you might buy today. I refuse to give up my Win 7 and i have tried Win 10, but still to this day there are so many problems with Win 10. And don't believe all the hype you hear about Win 7 being vulnerable which is partially true but there are ways to fix that and keep your Win 7. Lastly Microsoft says they stopped supporting Win 7 but that's not true they still send updates once a month.
SO SOUND OFF GUYS AND GALS WHAT ARE YOU USING THESE DAYS AND WHY?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I use Centmin 7 for all my servers and Windows 10 for personal use.

I've had no problems with Windows 10, but did regret going from XP to 8. I think 10 took it back in the right direction but modernized.

You're not the first person I've heard having problems with Windows 10, but their problems are typically after an upgrade. All my upgrades are manual, giving me time to determine whether I want to upgrade or wait for the 2nd upgrade that fixes what the 1st upgrade broke for everyone.

That said, after having a Mac Air for 2 years, I loved MacOS as the Terminal was much easier to work on my servers with. However, the hard drive crashed and I didn't have any backup made (oops) so I lost A LOT of data, even though it only had 128GB storage. I was quoted $400 to fix a 3-year-old laptop and laughed that off, vowing to never go Apple again.

I now have a "gaming laptop" that at the time was $800 and was price matched for $750. I went back the next day to see if they sold RAM cheaper, as you can upgrade pretty much everything, not Apple or Microsoft (Surface). When I saw that any HP had a $50 instant rebate, and knew I was still in the window, I asked if they could apply it to my laptop or if I'd have to return it and repurchase a new one at $700.

Got an HP OMEN for $700 that at the time was the same specs as a top of the line Macbook Pro minus the touch bar and 4K screen. But, I can always put a 4K screen in it for about $100 and upgrade from 8GB RAM to 32GB (twice that of a Pro now) for $200, which is much needed as I do a lot in Photoshop and Lightroom at the same time (12GB is recommended for that, but runs alright with 8).

I now have a cloud drive on my network and 2 other backups that can be restored at a moment's notice right where I left off as that was a pain piecing together everything I lost.

OP
chris

chris

Founding Member
I use Centmin 7 for all my servers and Windows 10 for personal use.

I've had no problems with Windows 10, but did regret going from XP to 8. I think 10 took it back in the right direction but modernized.

You're not the first person I've heard having problems with Windows 10, but their problems are typically after an upgrade. All my upgrades are manual, giving me time to determine whether I want to upgrade or wait for the 2nd upgrade that fixes what the 1st upgrade broke for everyone.

That said, after having a Mac Air for 2 years, I loved MacOS as the Terminal was much easier to work on my servers with. However, the hard drive crashed and I didn't have any backup made (oops) so I lost A LOT of data, even though it only had 128GB storage. I was quoted $400 to fix a 3-year-old laptop and laughed that off, vowing to never go Apple again.

I now have a "gaming laptop" that at the time was $800 and was price matched for $750. I went back the next day to see if they sold RAM cheaper, as you can upgrade pretty much everything, not Apple or Microsoft (Surface). When I saw that any HP had a $50 instant rebate, and knew I was still in the window, I asked if they could apply it to my laptop or if I'd have to return it and repurchase a new one at $700.

Got an HP OMEN for $700 that at the time was the same specs as a top of the line Macbook Pro minus the touch bar and 4K screen. But, I can always put a 4K screen in it for about $100 and upgrade from 8GB RAM to 32GB (twice that of a Pro now) for $200, which is much needed as I do a lot in Photoshop and Lightroom at the same time (12GB is recommended for that, but runs alright with 8).

I now have a cloud drive on my network and 2 other backups that can be restored at a moment's notice right where I left off as that was a pain piecing together everything I lost.
Wow Dave i am impressed and also sounds like you have had some good and bad experiences with the IOS changes threw the years as well. $750 for a gaming comp is outstanding compared to todays prices. I also made a gaming comp for my son not as extravagant as todays but extremely powerful and needs 4 fan ;sss to cool it. Thats because its using a 1TB HDD 32GB mem using an ASUS motherboard with SkyLake processors which are cheap but really smart and just as good as other quantum cpu's on the market today. I am not gamer but my son loves it and its better than playstation in alot of ways minus the extras you can get with PS.
Well for me i really dislike Win 10 and i am a bit of old laptop user but i have bought and rebuilt my 2 laptops which are really old like they were made in like 2009 and i bought them both for less than $100 bucks and totally gutted them and replaced just about everything with parts and hardware from todays standards still using Win 7 and whats funny is Microsoft says old laptops cannot run Win 10 which is a lie because with the right parts and the know how my oldest laptop which has okay don't laugh an old dual core Intel processor and it is running Win 10 with no issues. So what MS says about and experts who say you cannot have Win 7 and be safe is a lie and for those who say you can't use Win 10 on old machines is a lie. I like to do experiments and debunk MS as my latest one which i say a youtube video of a guy who ran Win 95 on a store bought Asus in 2019 and it still works and so i tried a month and this guy was right it still works and MS still sends updates for Win 95 which is unbelievable. But after that i put Win 10 back on the machine. LOL also have backup Dave by the way!

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove66