Nostalgia Marukawa Felix the Cat Chewing Gum

Rob Oechsle

FELIX GUM Gets Stomped On by the SHIVERING PENGUIN!

Recently, while down at the end of old Black Market Alley in Naha, I went into a Cheap Candy Store (Dagashi-Ya) wholesaler, looking for some hard-to-find FRUIT MONSTER RAINBOW GUMMY STRIPS, but was distracted by the 60-Piece Packs of "Grape Flavored" FELIX GUM sitting on the shelves.

The Candy Master said, "Kids don't want the old Felix Gum anymore. They want soda-flavored SHIVERING PENGUIN GUM, and we can barely keep it in stock!"

Not wanting to lose money, I bought a 60-Piece box of Felix GRAPE and Penguin SODA gum. I got to the car feeling great about the tons of money I saved but then realized, I DON'T CHEW GUM! Dang!

Original Felix gym, Coca-Cola flavored gum, and even yogurt flavored gum now on store shelves

All kinds of flavored bubble gum in wholesale packs of 60 each, usually purchased by mama-san stores all over the island.

An assortment of gum flavors in 60-count boxes found around Okinawa

The OLD and classic Felix Gum is being outsold by this new grape-flavored version, but even more than this, kids now want the SHIVERING PENGUIN GUM (next photo) which seems to outsell all others on Okinawa.

If you were (once again) a kid growing up on Okinawa, you'd be wanting the Grape or Soda flavors, and leave the original Felix in the bins. :)

Grape flavored Felix gum

The OLD and classic Felix Gum, as well as its popular new GRAPE version, is being outsold by this even MORE popular, soda / ramune-flavored SHIVERING PENGUIN GUM which seems to outsell all others on Okinawa.

Soda shivering penguin gum on store shelves in Okinawa

If you were (once again) a kid growing up on Okinawa, you'd be wanting the Grape or Soda flavors, and leave the original Felix in the bins. :) :)

Cheers!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Forum Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
Proltd