Activities Is there surfing in Okinawa?

This is a discussion about activities in Okinawa.

island cyclist

Founding Member
Is the world really going crazy or is the media choosing to portray it that way? I gave up on America, once they went woke they're on a self-destructive course. The woke culture is all about "me" and will never work in the real world but I choose to not care, I don't live there and never will again. I'm gonna sit here on this little island and enjoy life, the only stress we really have is what the news says and even then very very little has anything to do with us here. Let folks do as they please, I'll see ya on the water :)
Is there surfing in Okinawa?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

BBZ

saltwater addict
Founding Member
Yes there's surfing but those peeps are insane. Correct me if I'm wrong but most of the waves here are generated because of the shoreline meaning the coral and razor-sharp rock is just beneath you when you stop riding the wave. I'm not into coral cuts and infections :) I stick to kayaking and paddle boards :)

OP
island cyclist

island cyclist

Founding Member
Yes there's surfing but those peeps are insane. Correct me if I'm wrong but most of the waves here are generated because of the shoreline meaning the coral and razor-sharp rock is just beneath you when you stop riding the wave. I'm not into coral cuts and infections :) I stick to kayaking and paddle boards :)
Yes, I remember the coral and razor - sharp rocks there. Mostly on the west side of Okinawa. Although I never got into diving, but at the time, some in the military took to diving for lobster. Are they still doing that today?

BBZ

saltwater addict
Founding Member
Yes, I remember the coral and razor - sharp rocks there. Mostly on the west side of Okinawa. Although I never got into diving, but at the time, some in the military took to diving for lobster. Are they still doing that today?
yes divers galore, not sure what they take out though.

BBZ

saltwater addict
Founding Member
Yes, the west side is always packed also, even during our 'emergency covid phase" boats all over business as usual, Which is why we try to stay on the east side or further up north when playing on the water. It's a lot more fun when your not looking over your shoulder for boats :)

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove66