Answered Is the IMAX screen at United Cinemas worth it over the Dolby screenings at Star Theaters?

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
I think Star Theaters tickets run 1300 yen for members with special day pricing of 1100 on various days for different themed "events".

They're the chain that run Cinemas Q in Naha and 7 Plex in Mihama.
Cinemas Q

Naha  Cinemas Q

Cinemas Q is located on the 2nd floor of Main Place in Naha City.
Mihama 7 Plex

Central  Mihama 7 Plex

Mihama 7 Plex is located in Mihama, a district of Chatan, between AEON Chatan and American Village.

I recently saw a stub posted on social media from an IMAX viewing at Parco's United Cinemas that shows their ticket price being 2000 yen.
United Cinemas

South  United Cinemas

United Cinemas is located within Urasoe's PARCO CITY and is the only movie theater on Okinawa to offer a 4-D viewing experience.
parco-united-cinemas-imax-ticket.jpg

I Googled whether or not IMAX was any better than the Dolby versions of movies that are played in Star Theaters' movie theaters with the short answer being "no".

However, this begs the question then. What makes United Cinemas that much more expensive? Is the screen any larger, the seating better, or any other nice amenities offered?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.
Solution
I ended up seeing Top Gun in IMAX at United Cinemas over seeing it at my normal movie spot Cinemas Q. It ended up being 5000 yen total because I signed up for two members as well as purchased two adult tickets for 2000 yen each. This is more than the 2600 yen it would've cost at Cinemas Q as a member.

I have mixed feelings about it... the movie was great and IMAX makes you feel immersed in the movie with the sound being on point, but, I don't think it's worth the extra 700 yen for that short of an experience, relatively speaking.

I still want to watch Top Gun: Maverick again in both Screen X (three screens) and 4DX (an even more immersive experience with physical effects) formats to make a judgment on those.
OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
I ended up seeing Top Gun in IMAX at United Cinemas over seeing it at my normal movie spot Cinemas Q. It ended up being 5000 yen total because I signed up for two members as well as purchased two adult tickets for 2000 yen each. This is more than the 2600 yen it would've cost at Cinemas Q as a member.

I have mixed feelings about it... the movie was great and IMAX makes you feel immersed in the movie with the sound being on point, but, I don't think it's worth the extra 700 yen for that short of an experience, relatively speaking.

I still want to watch Top Gun: Maverick again in both Screen X (three screens) and 4DX (an even more immersive experience with physical effects) formats to make a judgment on those.

Solution

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Site Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karol.e