Question Has anyone had any problem with 100V power in appliances?

Mr. James

Founding Member
Guest Blogger
I brought a 2 year old Panasonic TV to Okinawa when I moved here from Singapore, and within 2 months, it was unusable (power to the unit and screen turns on, but not displaying input from my PS4 anymore). I understand about different TV signals; I never expected to get the Japanese TV signals. The tag says it is capable of accepting input of 100V to 240V, 50/60 HZ.

As my wife called some repair shops, they indicated that since the TV came from outside of Japan that something in the electronics was not able to withstand the 100V. Their suggestion was that I should buy a TV intended to be sold in Japan, as opposed to one from the Exchange. They said an Exchange TV (i.e. one normally intended to be sold in US, 110V) would have a similar problem.

Has anyone faced a similar situation? Has anyone been using a TV from outside Japan that has had problems?

Years ago when I was in Yokosuka, I had a popcorn air popper that never got quite hot enough to pop the popcorn. That was annoying. I figured this was due to 100V instead of 110V electricity.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

Bernice W

Founding Member
I brought a 2 year old Panasonic TV to Okinawa when I moved here from Singapore, and within 2 months, it was unusable (power to the unit and screen turns on, but not displaying input from my PS4 anymore). I understand about different TV signals; I never expected to get the Japanese TV signals. The tag says it is capable of accepting input of 100V to 240V, 50/60 HZ.

As my wife called some repair shops, they indicated that since the TV came from outside of Japan that something in the electronics was not able to withstand the 100V. Their suggestion was that I should buy a TV intended to be sold in Japan, as opposed to one from the Exchange. They said an Exchange TV (i.e. one normally intended to be sold in US, 110V) would have a similar problem.

Has anyone faced a similar situation? Has anyone been using a TV from outside Japan that has had problems?

Years ago when I was in Yokosuka, I had a popcorn air popper that never got quite hot enough to pop the popcorn. That was annoying. I figured this was due to 100V instead of 110V electricity.
I’ve forwarded your question to my husband (guru electrician) and I’ll get back with you when I hear back from him. It should be sometime today (October 5th).

Bernice W

Founding Member
I’ve forwarded your question to my husband (guru electrician) and I’ll get back with you when I hear back from him. It should be sometime today (October 5th).
Mr. James I don’t know if you’re still here but I wanted to get back with you. My husband read your post and said that based on the fact that your television is capable of running on 100V as well as the others listed, that’s not the source of your problem. He did ask me if there is a switch on the back of your TV for you to switch from one to another voltage. He said that replacing the power converter should be easy (remove the back and follow the power cord to the first thing it comes in contact with - that’s your converter/transformer), there’s no guarantee that would fix your problem. In his opinion (and 41 years of experience), he doesn’t believe that the power is the problem. Basically, the fact that it went wonky (my term here lol) is pure coincidence. Sorry 😔

OP
Mr. James

Mr. James

Founding Member
Guest Blogger
Mr. James I don’t know if you’re still here but I wanted to get back with you. My husband read your post and said that based on the fact that your television is capable of running on 100V as well as the others listed, that’s not the source of your problem. He did ask me if there is a switch on the back of your TV for you to switch from one to another voltage. He said that replacing the power converter should be easy (remove the back and follow the power cord to the first thing it comes in contact with - that’s your converter/transformer), there’s no guarantee that would fix your problem. In his opinion (and 41 years of experience), he doesn’t believe that the power is the problem. Basically, the fact that it went wonky (my term here lol) is pure coincidence. Sorry 😔
Bernice,

Thank you for the remote troubleshooting!
I agree with your husband; I do not think the voltage is the problem.
Since I may have to discard the TV anyway, I will pry open the back and see about replacing the power converter.
I'm not sure where to get a replacement. Probably online somewhere.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Since I may have to discard the TV anyway
Not related to your question...

But if you can wait it out another month and have base access you can get killer deals on TVs during Black Friday through Cyber Monday at the Exchange (PX).

A few years back, I got a non-smart 32" Samsung and a Roku (to make it "smart") for $110 and a smart 40" Samsung for under $300 (I want to say around $270).

These are the deals that I wait for!

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Belinisan