Question Has anyone bought a house in Okinawa?

og:title
How did you buy a house in Okinawa?
html:title
How did you buy a house in Okinawa?

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I'm looking to buy a house in Okinawa and wondering what the first bank I should take a trip to should be. I have JA and Okiginkou. Though, I will definitely shop around to get the best contractual terms.

I plan on putting 12%-40% down and wondering if this is sufficient enough too.

What bank did you end up using, what rate did you get, and how much did you put down for a loan of what size?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

island cyclist

Founding Member
We bought a house here in Japan the interest rates are super low to give you an idea we bought a $300,000 house and our payments were only $700 a month you have to really shop around for a bank that will approve you your wife will have to be a cosigner your income will determine whether or not you'll get a loan you'll be considered head of the household but your wife is a Japanese national so she will definitely be the one who will qualify for the loan but both the incomes are necessary most loans are for 35 years but it's best to pay off your house in 10 years hope this helps. And you'll be head of the household you'll have the legal ownership of the house but the banks will require your wife to be part owner of the house too so don't expect to be 100% owner of the house

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
we bought a $300,000 house and our payments were only $700 a month
We're looking into the neighborhood of $800,000~ with a downpayment of $100,000 as it will not only be our home on 100+ tsubo, but will also have 4 rentals on the low end of the design, provided the construction costs of anything larger is too much.
your wife will have to be a cosigner your income will determine whether or not you'll get a loan
Does being a permanent resident have no role in this?
most loans are for 35 years but it's best to pay off your house in 10 years
As it'll be a rental—plus our home—we plan on paying a 35 year loan off in approximately 12, if there aren't any early pay off penalties, as we'll still face taxes, etc., on it because there will be about $2500/mo in rental income and the "unexpected" such as having to replace someone's air conditioner.
the banks will require your wife to be part owner of the house too so don't expect to be 100% owner of the house
The house and land will be my wife's as it's the only "life insurance" that I can get in Japan due to not being able to enter a contract for a policy with any company.

island cyclist

Founding Member
Ok. Just came on line. In our case both the wife and I had to sign for the loan basically she's the owner of the business and I being head of the household what they say legally in Japan would be in my name but my income was not really that high enough to substantiate the the cost of the loan so it was mandatory for both my wife and I just sign the loan papers personally I think you'll have to go on the the title of the house with your wife and it's in my opinion it's best to have it that way anyway your life insurance policy I'm not too sure what you mean by that.

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Ok. Just came on line. In our case both the wife and I had to sign for the loan basically she's the owner of the business and I being head of the household what they say legally in Japan would be in my name but my income was not really that high enough to substantiate the the cost of the loan so it was mandatory for both my wife and I just sign the loan papers personally I think you'll have to go on the the title of the house with your wife and it's in my opinion it's best to have it that way anyway your life insurance policy I'm not too sure what you mean by that.
I'm sure my income meets the threshold for the loan, especially with 1/8th down.

That said, I don't mind if she's on the loan or not for as long as I pass away before her, there's no heartache of transferring property, which may include taxes (I'm unsure on "death tax" in Japan).

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
your life insurance policy I'm not too sure what you mean by that
I can't get an actual policy that I pay into monthly in Japan as she can. Therefore, the next best thing is an asset that appreciates in value.

These are arbitrary numbers to describe what I mean: Say I die and have a property that I paid $100 for and at the time of death it's worth $300 or can be utilized for something as passive income (a parking lot for instance). She then has the option of selling it and essentially gaining $200 or to make $5 a month on.

island cyclist

Founding Member
OK. I understand. Taxes are not that high. So you are building ? You do realize there is a shortage.of building material. Finished houses due to lack of building materials here so I'd be careful if you're going to start building now if so make sure all the building supplies have been ordered and delivered before I leave out any cash and this would be a stipulation in a loan agreement that would end up paying the contractors

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
So you are building ? You do realize there is a shortage.of building material.
Thanks. Good information to know!

Yes. We are planning on building a more modern apartment complex that is concrete supported by steel beams as opposed to all concrete, or whichever is cheaper. Though, knowing that there could be a shortage of either on island does make for a good question to ask the contractors prior to entering into an agreement! :)

Bernice W

Founding Member
I'm looking to buy a house in Okinawa and wondering what the first bank I should take a trip to should be. I have JA and Okiginkou. Though, I will definitely shop around to get the best contractual terms.

I plan on putting 12%-40% down and wondering if this is sufficient enough too.

What bank did you end up using, what rate did you get, and how much did you put down for a loan of what size?
Do you know Chris Willson? If not, I can ask him if he’d be willing to talk to you about it. He bought a house a few years ago up in Motobu.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beebs