Lens
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2
ISO
mm
Shutter
1/160
Aperture
ƒ/10
Just before midnight on 07/05/2020, I noticed that the moon was so bright—bright enough to hurt my eyes if looked at for too long—that I realized it doesn't get much love and attention it deserves in Okinawa and photography here. So, I got to my camera, took off my Canon 24-105 F4L lens and replaced it with the Tamron 70-200 G2 after a quick clean and tried to capture the detail of the moon as closely as I could.

As such, I've created a Okinawa Moons gallery to go aside Okinawa Sunsets and Okinawa Sunrises (it'd be nice to get a full sunrise, sunset and moon shot over the span of an entire day, but I doubt the weather in Okinawa will ever play nice enough for that to happen in one location—plus a shot of the moon requires much more thinking, in my opinion, on what should be in the foreground or framed with it).

The first moon posted in the newly created gallery was the full moon on 07/05/2020, but taken just after midnight when some lower hanging clouds cleared way for what I believed to be the perfect shot, displaying many of its imperfections, or perfections rather, that make it the moon.

I wish that I had a Tamron 150-600 G2 in my camera bag as I could get much closer and see the surface in more detail. Perhaps, that will be my next lens to do moons as well as other far-reaching photos as required. However, I don't want to take just any old boring shot of the moon; I'd like to travel around at night and capture it through cityscapes and other landscapes where it's possible. Nonetheless, as the Milky Way season quickly approaches, I will probably go with something wider first.

The photo above is my first attempt at a moon shot, not intended for Instagram (as seen below), and shot on the Canon 5D Mark IV with a Tamron 70-200 G2 at 200mm.

I would like to get the moon much sharper as it appears on the LCD, but, it's a little softer around the edges. This could be perhaps because I was shooting at 1/160th of a second, handheld, with a camera and lens the total weight of 2277 grams, which is almost barely 5 pounds. While that may seem light, it does get heavier on you each photo you take. This was the best photo of the bunch, but the edges of the moon were a bit softer than I would like, even when centered in the viewfinder.

Any advice for a sharp circle on a full moon or sharpness around even a Crescent moon? Or am I just overthinking this and there really wasn't enough light around the edges that could be picked up by a camera?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Site Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khayden22