DISCUSS Five Supermarkets In Okinawa

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Five Supermarkets In Okinawa. Please add to the discussion here.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

chris

Founding Member
This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Five Supermarkets In Okinawa. Please add to the discussion here.
I know this is an old post but rumor has it there might be another supermarket to add to this menu and some people say it will be next year but others say they haven't heard anything and i'm talking about COSTCO. From my point of view Okinawa desperately needs a COSTCO. According to JapanUpdate talks are in the works for a new store located in Itoman. Now this rumor was made in September of 2019. Okinawa supermarkets don't offer much in variety of foods and most are really expensive. A COSTCO is foods from all over the world as well as Japan but the prices are yes a little expensive but its also in bulk ( BIG SIZE). For example at Kanehide a package of 300 grams of hamburger meat goes for like 300 yen to 500 yen or higher depending on the type of meat like pork, or beef, or mixed. At COSTCO you can get like 1,000 grams or higher of the same meat for the price like 800 yen, just an average guess.
What i'm saying is compared to Japanese supermarkets the money you spend for 1 weeks worth of food which is a lot of money and that money you spent could have bought you 3 weeks worth of food from COSTCO. But i know for a fact that these Okinawa Supermarkets have been fighting COSTCO for years trying to stop them from coming into Okinawa just like Lawson and Family Mart tried to stop 7-Eleven and because these supermarkets fear COSTCO as they should because COSTCO is better value and better quantity of products for the money.
So has anyone heard any other rumors about COSTCO coming soon to Okinawa and what do you think about having a COSTCO on Okinawa?

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I know this is an old post but rumor has it there might be another supermarket to add to this menu and some people say it will be next year but others say they haven't heard anything and i'm talking about COSTCO.
We also purposefully excluded Ryubo from the list too as it's a supermarket chain primarily found in the south such as Urasoe, Naha, and Itoman. :)
From my point of view Okinawa desperately needs a COSTCO.
I actually don't see the necessity of a COSTCO in Okinawa. There are plenty of stores that fulfill the needs of people and businesses like COSTCO does, with a Japanese variety. COSTCO, in my opinion, is just a vanity name.
Now this rumor was made in September of 2019. Okinawa supermarkets don't offer much in variety of foods and most are really expensive.
Only if you don't know where to look. ;)

There are a lot of supermarkets open to the public that carry bulk products; there's even a hidden one tucked away by our house. These supermarkets carry bulk products so that bars, izakayas, and restaurants can sell menu items much cheaper than had they bought ingredients from Max Valu or San-A
A COSTCO is foods from all over the world as well as Japan but the prices are yes a little expensive but its also in bulk ( BIG SIZE).
The only point for Okinawa to have a COSTCO, since we're denser (as in faster to get to by car as opposed to population) than the mainland, is this. A lot of Okinawans are fascinated by American products. Their fix? Jimmy's, which sells American products at a marked up price in their store, portioned for families.

It could do well with the Americans here (on SOFA as non-SOFA might not have the luxury of COLA to cover the difference), but I'll bet they will still complain about marked up prices on non-perishables as they can easily get the stuff they need through Amazon.

After base shrinks in size or even disappears? There's not a big financial incentive for COSTCO at that point because a typical Japanese person may not buy in bulk for a household, perhaps to resell at mom & pop convenience stores (and possibly Jimmy's forced to lower prices), but I don't families taking 12-24 peanut butter jars home. The business owners, if they haven't already established relationships with other wholesale markets in the area where their establishments are, may still go.

But, I don't see a surge from the 1000s of izakayas in Okinawa flocking there over where they currently do business to sustain a COSTCO if the American base population does diminish. They will have to be much cheaper or offer different items the current wholesalers don't to compete locally.
At COSTCO you can get like 1,000 grams or higher of the same meat for the price like 800 yen, just an average guess.
This is the type of deal you can get in the meat sections of the wholesale supermarkets I'm referring to. You just need to look and find one that meets your needs (no pun intended). We shop at one often as it's nearby and, on let's say an ice cream cone that's 180 yen at Family Mart or 140 yen at San-A, one can get the same for 100-120 yen there.

If you would like us to introduce wholesale marts that serve local foods in a bulk, maybe we can do that another day. Two come to the top of my mind in about a 3-kilometer radius in Naha alone. :)

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Here's one to stop by. Tell me, if ya primarily cook Japanese (which is on the menu most places), whether we really need a COSTCO then, @chris :)

chris

Founding Member
Here's one to stop by. Tell me, if ya primarily cook Japanese (which is on the menu most places), whether we really need a COSTCO then, @chris :)

Actually we do shop at Gyomu for some things but most of our meals are American not a lot of japanese. Biggest problem with Gyomu super is there beef as it is all frozen and most are freezer burned meat that taste horrible and there steak stuff is just as worse horrible taste. we do however by the bulk ketchup and mayo and other items in big size but Gyomu is not on my top list of 10

chris

Founding Member
We also purposefully excluded Ryubo from the list too as it's a supermarket chain primarily found in the south such as Urasoe, Naha, and Itoman. :)

I actually don't see the necessity of a COSTCO in Okinawa. There are plenty of stores that fulfill the needs of people and businesses like COSTCO does, with a Japanese variety. COSTCO, in my opinion, is just a vanity name.

Only if you don't know where to look. ;)

There are a lot of supermarkets open to the public that carry bulk products; there's even a hidden one tucked away by our house. These supermarkets carry bulk products so that bars, izakayas, and restaurants can sell menu items much cheaper than had they bought ingredients from Max Valu or San-A

The only point for Okinawa to have a COSTCO, since we're denser (as in faster to get to by car as opposed to population) than the mainland, is this. A lot of Okinawans are fascinated by American products. Their fix? Jimmy's, which sells American products at a marked up price in their store, portioned for families.

It could do well with the Americans here (on SOFA as non-SOFA might not have the luxury of COLA to cover the difference), but I'll bet they will still complain about marked up prices on non-perishables as they can easily get the stuff they need through Amazon.

After base shrinks in size or even disappears? There's not a big financial incentive for COSTCO at that point because a typical Japanese person may not buy in bulk for a household, perhaps to resell at mom & pop convenience stores (and possibly Jimmy's forced to lower prices), but I don't families taking 12-24 peanut butter jars home. The business owners, if they haven't already established relationships with other wholesale markets in the area where their establishments are, may still go.

But, I don't see a surge from the 1000s of izakayas in Okinawa flocking there over where they currently do business to sustain a COSTCO if the American base population does diminish. They will have to be much cheaper or offer different items the current wholesalers don't to compete locally.

This is the type of deal you can get in the meat sections of the wholesale supermarkets I'm referring to. You just need to look and find one that meets your needs (no pun intended). We shop at one often as it's nearby and, on let's say an ice cream cone that's 180 yen at Family Mart or 140 yen at San-A, one can get the same for 100-120 yen there.

If you would like us to introduce wholesale marts that serve local foods in a bulk, maybe we can do that another day. Two come to the top of my mind in about a 3-kilometer radius in Naha alone. :)
Well COSTCO seems to do extremely well in mainland and its just not the food the offer they sell other syff to from tv's to coffee pots and i am well please don't laugh i dont eat much japanese food as i am american and i do my best to cook american and italian etc. But COSTCO toilet paper is better deal than Max Value. 48 rolls compared to 18 is alot better. LOL. Jimmy's is way over priced for american products and A-Price they started out good and then there quality dropped as well and there prices got jacked way up outta price range for normal people LOL oh well COSTCO was just a thought would have been nice but hey maybe we can get a out in town commissary. I know keep dreaming

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
but most of our meals are American not a lot of japanese
First, I have to start off with this: 😲 😲 😲

You're in Okinawa. Okinawa, Japan. And you primarily eat American foods? Of course, there's a lot of American-style foods in Okinawa, but I would like to think they are cooked healthier (I don't even entirely see McDonald's as being unhealthy here).

My last American meal was on Easter, grab-and-go, on Camp Shields. We eat 99.8% Japanese/Okinawan.
Gyomu super is there beef as it is all frozen and most are freezer burned meat that taste horrible and there steak stuff is just as worse horrible taste.
I'm sure there's some that is freezer burned. Quite possibly check the dates? Either I'm just used to it by now or we get the fresher stuff. :p
Well COSTCO seems to do extremely well in mainland and its just not the food the offer they sell other syff to from tv's to coffee pots
I forgot about this portion too. However, these items are also sold off base around Okinawa and I just can't see COSTCO competing as they still need to import a ton of them, over Best Denki, etc., in order to mark them down... and, what? A 1000 or 2000 yen off? The prices on these items are just insane to begin with.
But COSTCO toilet paper is better deal than Max Value.
COSTCO would probably be better, if from the US, as I absolutely hate any from Big 1, Max Valu, San-A, etc. I prefer 4 rolls of Charmin for $1-$1.25 at the commissary (though, I'll grab a 12-pack or something instead; just a baseline price on roll for comfort).
but hey maybe we can get a out in town commissary. I know keep dreaming
Yeah. Ya can probably keep dreaming there. :ROFLMAO:

chris

Founding Member
You're in Okinawa. Okinawa, Japan. And you primarily eat American foods? Of course, there's a lot of American-style foods in Okinawa, but I would like to think they are cooked healthier (I don't even entirely see McDonald's as being unhealthy here).

My last American meal was on Easter, grab-and-go, on Camp Shields. We eat 99.8% Japanese/Okinawan.
Omg! As much as i hate McDonald's i eat there once in a while just remind my taste bud on how awefull their burgers are :ROFLMAO: McDonald's is good for french fries as the do have the best fast food fries and breakfast sandwiches.
Thank GOD FOR BURGER KING! :ROFLMAO: and mexican food which i love. But for me truth be told i cannot eat japanese food for the reason that i have seafood allergy. It's true 100% if i so even taste lets say fish oil or something like that i will blow up into a giant red balloon and rush to a hospital for the allergy shot then i have to stay overnight for observation. I have got to be the worst person on island to feed and my wife hates it calls me picky and expensive :ROFLMAO: For japanese supermarkets just have the variety of an American supermarket which i miss but i wouldnt trade homes for anything on this world.

OP
Snow

Snow

Co-Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
@chris
Too bad that you can't eat Japanese food though. Not all of it contains seafood.
And yeah, I would also say exactly the same thing if @David couldn't eat any of the cuisine as well lol.

island cyclist

Founding Member
If food from Hong Kong is similar to food from China, I would still prefer the Japanese version of it. I found that Chinese food, while on vacation in Hong Kong, was bland without flavor whatsoever.

You went to the wrong restaurants . LOL
Hong Kong food rocks dude . LOL

island cyclist

Founding Member
Do you happen to have any pictures of food from HK that you can share?? I'd still love to know more of them!

My friend lives in Hong Kong with his Chinese wife. Let me see if I have a way to give you a link. I get updates from Hong Kong news because I had high hopes of going camping there, but won't happen anytime soon now. Stay tune or I'll send a PM with the link.

OP
Snow

Snow

Co-Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
My friend lives in Hong Kong with his Chinese wife. Let me see if I have a way to give you a link. I get updates from Hong Kong news because I had high hopes of going camping there, but won't happen anytime soon now. Stay tune or I'll send a PM with the link.
That's awesome! Thank you :love: And I'm sure camping in HK would've been amazing to do. Sorry the COVID thing has ruined your plan :cry::cry:

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wstephens90