• Looking to browse this site without ads? It's as easy as signing up for free!

DISCUSS First Infection Of Novel Coronavirus In Okinawa

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
February 14, 2020 @ 1811 -- Governor of Okinawa, Denny Tamaki, reports that the taxi driver is in stable condition and they are conducting health and wellness observations on potential contacts that the taxi driver may have had after becoming physically ill on February 5, 2020.

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
February 14, 2020 @ 1918 -- Seven elderly welfare centers will be closed for up to two weeks amid the news of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) appearing in Naha City in order to prevent the transmission among the people more likely to be affected.

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
February 15, 2020 @ 0700 -- As discussed by Governor Tamaki, 15 non-stop flights between Okinawa and 5 Chinese cities per week have been canceled as well as 50 of 87 flights between Naha International Airport and Shanghai. Additionally, the ports closed off to cruise ships meant to also dock in Naha, Okinawa; Nakagusuku, Okinawa; Ishigaki Island, Okinawa; and Miyako Island, Okinawa. This is all in an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19 in Okinawa.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
February 15, 2020 @ 0700 -- As discussed by Governor Tamaki, 15 non-stop flights between Okinawa and 5 Chinese cities per week have been canceled as well as 50 of 87 flights between Naha International Airport and Shanghai. Additionally, the ports closed off to cruise ships meant to also dock in Naha, Okinawa; Nakagusuku, Okinawa; Ishigaki Island, Okinawa; and Miyako Island, Okinawa. This is all in an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19 in Okinawa.
I was under the impression that either the company or government of Okinawa knew that there was a passenger that disembarked in Hong Kong which tested positive for COVID-19 on January 25th, days prior to the passengers disembarking in Naha on February 1st.

On the previous voyage, a guest from Hong Kong, embarked in Yokohama on January 20, sailed one segment of the itinerary, and disembarked in Hong Kong on January 25. He visited a local Hong Kong hospital, six days after leaving the ship, where he later tested positive for coronavirus on February 1. While on the ship he did not visit the ship’s medical centre to report any symptoms or illness. The hospital reports that he is in stable condition and the family members traveling with him remain symptom-free
Source: Princess Cruises: Diamond Princess Coronavirus & Quarantine Updates - Notices & Advisories

And on the February 1st:
The ship arrived in Naha at 1:30 p.m. and left for Yokohama at around 11 p.m. that day.
Source: Naha goes on high alert, days after visit by virus-hit cruise ship | The Japan Times

From what I recollect, they couldn't stop them from getting off in Naha because 'there was no law in doing so' (loosely translated talk).

Now; now, you want to cancel flights and cruise ships from entering because of possible further transmission of the novel coronavirus in Okinawa? Except... you're worried about the economic impact it'll have and not reaching the goal of exceeding 10,000,000 million tourists to Okinawa in 2020?

I think someone's priorities were misdirected on the 1st and they are still somewhat misguided now as the people of Okinawa should have had protection against this thing from the beginning.

Maybe, had common sense been used, COVID-19 would've appeared in Okinawa much later, or perhaps, not at all—at least closer to the possibility of reaching a vaccination first, perhaps?

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Scary stuff all around. I hope they find a vaccine soon.
Last I heard, there was a vaccine made. It was also made in under 3 hours after the genetic sequence was released, which is quite amazing with the advancement of medical/biotech (without getting into conspiracy theories behind COVID-19).

The problem is human trials and testing along with FDA red tape to get it on the market quickly enough.

Third world countries (and I don't mean third as in poor) might not have the same problem as the US will have and could quite possibly get it out quicker, with, of course, their population being guinea pigs for the US to speed up their approval process.

It could still take months to get to the market. Months that some may not have if you observe the infected to death linear graphs of the coronavirus epidemic.

BBZ

unless you are old and or unhealthy already I don't see a problem. avoid touristy places, wash hands frequently and if you do get sick, get to the hospital immediately. as of right now there are 8,263 that had it and recovered .
Having said that, I don't think they actually took this seriously in the beginning, and only worried about money. what they did or did not do is irrelevant, looking back and placing blame is stupid

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
unless you are old and or unhealthy already I don't see a problem
This seemingly doesn't appear to be the case, though. While a lot are elderly, some aren't immunocompromised and are in their teens to mid 30s, with a 36 year old being the youngest confirmed to succumb to the virus and a newborn getting infected with coronavirus after birth.
wash hands frequently
This and avoiding contact with your face without washing up is probably something everyone can agree on.
looking back and placing blame is stupid
I don't quite think so. I might've come off as placing blame, but that wasn't my intended meaning behind it.

The reason the passengers were allowed to disembark the Diamond Princess in Naha was because there was no law allowing officials to keep them aboard or to turn them around. However, the governor cut the cruises and flights off today. What changed in the law between February 1st and February 15th?

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
old meaning the majority, with anything, there will always be exceptions.
While that may be the case now, it doesn't mean it will be the case two months from now as more and more "outliers" (I say outliers as they are the minority of what you did mention) will pop up. Furthermore, I believe that this is just the beginning, in Okinawa, and around the rest of the world, too.

With cases appearing in Egypt and Africa today, all that we know about the virus is out the window.

Such as the case with temperature. It was believed that in hotter weather, it'd be blown over. But, the spread in Singapore clearly debunked that as it lies on the equator.

I don't think we can definitively say that it only affects the old or immunocompromised more than healthy people until there are more facts and statistics shared from China. This is because doctors and other medical workers in full protection are becoming ill from the Wuhan coronavirus, and they're not the oldest, either. It is debatable whether they came in contact with it prior to their official duties, though.

A Harvard professor says that the spread of COVID-19 is just beginning and gathering steam as well. I tend to lean with his opinion until statistics are more transparent to say otherwise.

I'm not here to fearmonger or scare, but, just present the facts as they come out.

The only thing the rest of the world can do is lay in wait.

Hopefully, everyone can be hygienic in the meantime while the anti-virus is being developed, tested, and distributed as this thing has already surpassed nearly the total of deaths of both MERS and SARS combined. This is even with its low fatality rate of 2% compared to MERS and SARS at 36% and 9.6% respectively: the concerning part is the unknown with the addition of the incubation period of COVID-19. So, it's not something to be taken lightly in my opinion.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Time will tell
Sadly, I think that's true unless China starts to share more information with the rest of the world, or if more than 2 deaths occur outside of China.

Let's hope no more deaths occur, and let's hope for a speedy recovery of the taxi driver here as well as no more infections in Okinawa to follow.

However, I hope the Government of Japan and Okinawa government is taking this seriously and it's on their radar now.

We're not in the clear yet, though! I was hoping that today would've been our last day (14-day incubation period, but that is said to be up to 24 as well) and we were going to be okay, at least from the Diamond Princess cruise incident. Then, be able to ride it out more until a vaccination is developed and approved for human use. Though, that doesn't appear to be the case...

A great first step was made to close off the ports and flights, essentially cutting Okinawa off.

So, it's pretty safe to say that Okinawa might be able to slip on through the mess that may or may not arrive in the coming days and months of the unknown.

BBZ

judging by the fact that within 30 mins of me being at Sunabe sea wall today 5 random people sneezed and not one of them covered their mouth, if this thing gets out, it will take a toll.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
judging by the fact that within 30 mins of me being at Sunabe sea wall today 5 random people sneezed and not one of them covered their mouth, if this thing gets out, it will take a toll.
😬😬😬

Well, there goes this and a new theory added that people are probably ignoring the advice of a good 20-second washing after touching surfaces too...
Hopefully, everyone can be hygienic in the meantime

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
February 15, 2020 @ 2220 -- Government of Japan to accelerate testing and treatment measures amid a potential "domestic epidemic" as COVID-19 has reportedly spread to 11 of the 47 prefectures in Japan, to include Okinawa, with the Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare stating that outbreaks are inevitable in the future.

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
February 16, 2020 @ 0900 -- Other taxi drivers and citizens that are concerned about whether they may be infected and asymptomatic shows the poor state that Japan and Okinawa are in as only the Prefectural Institute of Public Health and Environment in Okinawa can carry out such tests for COVID-19 at a rate of 9 per day, which is roughly the same as other prefectures.

BBZ

However, I hope the Government of Japan and Okinawa government is taking this seriously and it's on their radar now.
Pretty sure Japan is crapping their pants right now, not because of the virus but sadly because of how much money they stand to lose if this thing does not clear up prior to the Olympics in June. As for Okinawa, I get a sense of lip service.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Pretty sure Japan is crapping their pants right now, not because of the virus but sadly because of how much money they stand to lose if this thing does not clear up prior to the Olympics in June. As for Okinawa, I get a sense of lip service.
You're likely right on that one.

Okinawa is already feeling the impact after the direct flight cancelations and closure of ports to cruise ships.

I believe that I picked up that revenue is already estimated to be down 30% on Kokusai Street alone; I can't imagine the impact this may have on the Olympics. However, that could be a combination of factors to include fewer tourists, public hysteria, and obeying suggestions from high authorities, like all cultured Japanese do, of 'only going out to restaurants [etc.] when necessary'.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
Ruriko