DISCUSS Experience Tranquility And Breathtaking Views At Kakinohana Hija Spring

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
There's an easier way to get to the spring if you have children or a walking impairment. Luckily, Google allowed me to pin the location of the parking lot as it wasn't on the map when I went sometime early last month.

By parking at the site above, you can access the spring by walking straight in and avoiding a hike down upon arrival and a steep hill up when you leave.

Kakinohana Hiija Spring parking Train straight into Kakinohana Hiija Spring

Once you exit your car, you'll see the sign and a trail that guides you right into the spring without breaking too much of a sweat, besides from Okinawa's own heat; but, there's plenty of shade and cool water in the spring for that.

Pacific Ocean view on the trail to the spring

Pros: You'll get an additional, awesome, view of the Pacific Ocean taking this route in too!

Con: You won't be able to easily access a restroom as shown in the blog post without hiking up and back down. You'll need to get in your car and go to the park on the corner at the top of the hill or politely ask the community center kittycorner to it to use theirs.

Rob Oechsle

A collector of Medaka (fish) and little freshwater prawns looking for specimens in the lower pool of Kakinohana Spring.

It's a pretty place, but highly recommend spraying yourself with DEET before enjoying a visit to the spot. :)

A collector of Medaka (fish) and little freshwater prawns

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I didn't see any fish while I was there, and I'm glad my dog, @Marron, didn't either! She would've definitely tried to make some new "friends". 😂
It's a pretty place, but highly recommend spraying yourself with DEET before enjoying a visit to the spot. :)
I absolutely agree. I watched the video of you and Stephen Mick McClary touring the site and saw that you came in from the "easier" method posted above (possibly finding the parking lot with your experience without the pin). This route definitely has more stagnant water around the edges and there were bugs.

But, I didn't run into that issue from going down the hill, and I'm a bug magnet, even in Naha! 🙃

However, bugs may be a problem for some so some DEET or another type of bug spray should be packed, almost anywhere you go outdoors in Okinawa.

Rob Oechsle

The collector found quite a lot. They were all very small "guppy" size, and highly transparent. If he hadn't shown me his "catch", like you, I would never have seen them, or even known they were in there! :)

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Next time I have a chance to go out there, I'll look a little harder.

Maybe they're just so small that they're unnoticeable unless you know exactly what you're looking for, that is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Forum Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
paula yuki