Fun Do you speak Japanglish?

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
A picture came across my Facebook feed today. It asked, "Do you speak Japanglish?" and proceeded to give examples of Japanese and English mashed together, but not the definitions to help you learn and remember real Japanese.

It listed:

JapanglishJapaneseEnglish Translation
konnichiwassupkonnichiwawhat's up / good afternoon
seeyanarasayonarasee ya / goodbye
gomenasorrygomenasaisorry
chotto a minutechotto mattehold on
arigathanks gozaimucharigatou gozaimasuthank you
don't ishimention itdo itashi mashitedon't mention it (you're welcome)
hisashi been a whilehisashiburiit's been a while
tadai'm hometadaimaI'm home
daijouokay?daijoubu?are you ok?
yamete kudastopyamete kudasaistop, please
urashut upurusaishut up
subaramazingsubarashiiamazing / wonderful
dareka help medarekasomebody (help me)
hontrue desu ka?hontou desu ka?really?
everything is daijoufineeverything is daijoubueverything is fine
eatadakimasuitadakimasusaid in 'thanks' before eating
oyasleepnasayoyasuminasaigoodnight
doushite is this happeningdoushitewhy (is this happening)

And other people commented with other examples such as:
  • "Do you wakuru me?" or "Do you understand me?"
  • "Bye-yonara" or "sayonara" ("bye")
  • "It's hotsui" or atsui ("it's hot")
And of course, the more famous, "don't touch my moustache" or "douitashimashite" (you're welcome).

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

island cyclist

Founding Member
My wife won't teach me the language because she doesn't want me to ... I just don't know what to say. But I try my best , but I'm a total failure with this language. And it isn't old age either. Born "language challenge". :oops:

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
My wife won't teach me the language because she doesn't want me to ... I just don't know what to say. But I try my best , but I'm a total failure with this language. And it isn't old age either. Born "language challenge". :oops:
My wife won't teach me either. However, you should try to have a conversation or two with her in an attempt to learn the basics so that you can get around if you're out biking and stuck on your own, kilometers away, especially if you're coming here to bike alone.

Kidding. I just can't learn it. 😔

If there's anything you need to learn, specifically, ask away in the Language Exchange, as that's what this forum is for: both for teaching and learning or trying to even communicate with our Japanese members who stumble upon your thread. :)

island cyclist

Founding Member
I've been telling you to learn it, @David :cautious:

And I don't understand why your wife doesn't want you to, @island cyclist. If you could speak Japanese you would enjoy living here even better!

She's different I guess. I do try but I finally recently started to do some stuff on my own without her help. She was /is always afraid I couldn't do anything in this country without her help. Long story, maybe one day I'll explain. My daughter after 2 months here was only speaking Japanese , but we only spoke English. She was a bit under 4 at the time.

Snow

Co-Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I'm glad you are doing something to improve your Japanese skills!

Was your daughter going to Japanese kindergarten? My oldest daughter started speaking English fluently a month after we moved to the States. Kids are truly fast learners! :)

island cyclist

Founding Member
I'm glad you are doing something to improve your Japanese skills!

Was your daughter going to Japanese kindergarten? My oldest daughter started speaking English fluently a month after we moved to the States. Kids are truly fast learners! :)

She went to kindergarten through high school. She was gifted for language. The juku school she was second in Yamaguchi pref for her skill.
You live in Okinawa, right?

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebeccamoyer