Attraction Crazy Swing & Yamada Waterwheel Noodle Shop

Beach-Bum

Founding Member
Guest Blogger
Sometimes we see something both thrilling & questionable. If you’ve driven on the 58 in Yamada, Onna, you’ve probably seen a crazy contraption nestled in the trees. Surely it’s a pile of junk or modern art, right? Nope. It’s a homemade swing “ride” most likely designed out of an alcohol-fueled conversation.

Does it work? Yes! Is it safe? ....um, that’s debatable, but I have been on it & lived to tell the tale.

As a one last bucket list item for a group of adventurous friends, we made the hasty decision to ride this swing. The owner seemed nice enough but didn’t speak much English. The sign for prices listed two rates: One for half speed & another for full speed. I thought I got a picture of the prices, but I didn’t (oops). I want to say it was about ¥1200 per person for the “full speed.”

Two people can ride at once. You’re strapped into a half boat (the swing) & given helmets. The guy cranked back the swing & counted down before letting us fly over the vegetation & mattresses below (safety first)!
The real thrill is the clanks & bangs & wondering if that thing will stay upright long enough for you to get back on the ground. Would I do it again? Sure, why not?

There is another “ride” behind it. There’s a stairway built out of plastic pallets & it looks like the rider would possibly zip line down in a box? We couldn’t quite figure out how that one worked due to language barriers, so we skipped it.

There is also a noodle shop, a small waterwheel, & a goat on the grounds.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.
Address
山田水車屋 1309-1 Yamada, Onna, Kunigami-gun, Okinawa 904-0416 098-965-4757
Coordinates
26.4285347, 127.7773787
Map

Attachments

OP
Beach-Bum

Beach-Bum

Founding Member
Guest Blogger
Lol, It does have a cautionary tale or horror movie vibe, but it’s also innocent enough we didn’t want something this small to be a “man I wish I had tried it,” you know?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Forum Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
ihong89