What? Court rules in favor of Japan's ban on dual nationality

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I find this law odd in that they are hurting in multiple areas due to so many social programs that they could definitely use the foreign earned income, or a portion of it, as tax relief to aid in the spending to support the programs.
TOKYO (Kyodo) -- A Japanese court on Thursday rejected a lawsuit challenging the country's ban on its citizens from holding foreign nationality, in what is believed to be the first judicial decision on the matter.
In a lawsuit filed with the Tokyo District Court in 2018, eight men and women in their 30s to 80s who were born in Japan but now live in Europe claimed a legal requirement that Japanese who gain foreign nationality must give up their citizenship violates the Constitution.
This particular section is what caught my attention:
Article 11 of the nationality law states that Japanese citizens who acquire non-Japanese nationality on their own instigation automatically lose their Japanese nationality, effectively banning dual citizenship.
I interpret that as a child being born into another nationality is not pursuing it on their own. Therefore, the law that made Naomi Osaka relinquish her U.S. citizenship seems unconstitutional.
The issue of dual nationality in Japan drew global attention when tennis superstar Naomi Osaka, who had both Japanese and U.S. citizenship, selected Japanese nationality just before turning 22 in 2019. She was born to a Japanese mother and Haitian father.
I hope this is clarified in the courts sooner than later.

What do you think; are Japanese citizens that are born into other nationalities violating the Constitution or should this law only apply to people that go out and seek dual citizenship of their own free will?

Source: Court rules in favor of Japan's ban on dual nationality - The Mainichi

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

island cyclist

Founding Member
Well, I guess I can share my thoughts here. Wife is Japanese, me American, my daughter American ( born in America, but raised in Japan till her 18th birthday ) She is American and if she wanted to become a Japanese citizen and give up her American citizenship ( not sure if that is possible ), I think it is nearly impossible to get Japanese citizenship just being a normal person. Sumo's now that maybe a different story.
Wife never became an American citizen, never wanted to and I never pushed it, why, well most Japanese just don't give up Japanese citizenship unless they dislike Japan as a country and its life style.
The story of Naomi is strange . I never thought she was Japanese at all, just in name. I heard her mother was Japanese, father didn't know. I think Naomi who speaks about as much Japanese as I do ( lol ) better learn as much Japanese as possible while she is young and famous.
Japan is not an easy place to live in without a self-teaching skill and if she ends up being a tennis instructor while still famous and young, she'll do fine. But I'm sure her income is pretty good at the moment. Japan is NOT an easy country to live in when you are old and poor and a foreigner.
Just my thoughts.

Does Naomi live in Japan?
Her father seems to be out of the picture in her life ? ....

OP
David

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I think it is nearly impossible to get Japanese citizenship just being a normal person.
Citizenship is probably a next to nil possibility for a foreigner to obtain.
Sumo's now that maybe a different story.
Even then, I think they were sponsored until they gained permanent residency as, in my opinion, they probably wouldn't have handed this out to a one-hit-wonder wrestler. Though, the laws have changed which makes permanent residency a lot easier to get than having to wait the initial 10 years to even apply to be considered; I believe it's now 2 years.
Wife never became an American citizen, never wanted to and I never pushed it, why, well most Japanese just don't give up Japanese citizenship unless they dislike Japan as a country and its life style.
Same here. I don't even have an ITIN for her.
The story of Naomi is strange . I never thought she was Japanese at all, just in name. I heard her mother was Japanese, father didn't know.
I don't follow up on most people as celebrities as it's hard enough to keep up with my own life (so I don't recognize 99% of actors, etc.). However, I can say from looking at my daughter, the Japanese traits seem to be a lot weaker.
Japan is not an easy place to live in without a self-teaching skill
I'd disagree here and say that this only applies to foreigners.

Even then, I know quite a few foreigners that work in the IT department for mufti-national corporations. One company is Citi Bank which used to hire in Okinawa, but I think they shifted all staffing to Mainland.

While an instructor position could potentially help someone make more, it isn't as stable as a monthly paycheck which is key to getting residency.

island cyclist

Founding Member
by self-teaching skill I meant by having a trade
teaching english at the academic level is real, but at home/business conversation schools is kind of a thing of the past nowadays I feel
by background was in Real Estate and a license Calif. sub-contractor Painting and Decorating C-33

I couldn't use any of them skills here, wife wouldn't allow it, of course Real Estate no way in a small city, but starting a painting company here I would of done pretty good considering most is done by the big franchises and only pay 50 % to the sub contractors and they also have to buy the paint and rent the scaffiling (sp ) .

Anyway, at my age, health is where I'm at, but I know health can change overnight, had sciatica and one morning couldn't even get out of bed. Had 2 attacks so far, but I'm doing fine other then curvurature of the spine.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove66