Cashing U.S. stimulus checks in Japan

island cyclist

Founding Member
Impact
Thanks for the tip TDuck.
I'll see what info I get back from Mike D and David also may help out if Mike's bank says no.
I lost out on the 1200 check. Treasury Dept. must have just thrown it away, but this 600 check, well it may come in handy if my plan to tour Okinawa bears fruit this year.
Again, thank you.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

TDuck

Impact
If you still have the check, it may be expired but the Department of the Treasury should still pay you the money. The Department of the Treasury owed you the $1200.00, that's why it paid you. Even though the check may have expired, the debt from the Treasury is still owed to you.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
I lost out on the 1200 check.
As @TDuck already mentioned, you haven't lost this money. If you file your 2020 taxes, you can still get the $1200 as a tax credit. Some online filing may not submit it without some type of earned income, be it a W-2 or 1099-MISC. If you don't have any of these, hopefully, you can make it easier on yourself by seeing if you have any U.S. bank account that paid you at least 1 penny in dividends so you can input a 1099-INT while filing and it should go through. If you have nothing, you'll need to file by paper; but, you won't have lost your $1200.

OP
island cyclist

island cyclist

Founding Member
Impact
If you still have the check, it may be expired but the Department of the Treasury should still pay you the money. The Department of the Treasury owed you the $1200.00, that's why it paid you. Even though the check may have expired, the debt from the Treasury is still owed to you.

OP
island cyclist

island cyclist

Founding Member
Impact
I mailed the check back in October to the Treasury Dept. I haven't heard nothing back from them. I added the info of my bank account here in Japan to see if they would deposit the funds in it. Nothing. So I just got the 600 check so I guess the people that should have changed my account never did.
I've given up on that . But I would like to get the 600 check cashed. Also, Congress is going to start sending out 1000 dollars again very soon. That my understanding so it would be nice if I had a connection with someone on this forum to give a helping hand, and I would generously compensate for the trouble and time to help me out.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
@island cyclist -- if you don't mind mailing it to Okinawa and would eat the 300 yen fee to transfer from my bank to yours (I can only help so much! :D), I wouldn't mind putting this on a to-do list and get it done probably by the weekend for you as everything is pretty much a straight shot for me to do.

hmorris48

Impact
David is the MAN - we meet today and a few minutes later our checks were replaced with US dollars.

Many thanks to David.

OP
island cyclist

island cyclist

Founding Member
Impact
Hi David, I was waiting for Mike to come back online since he was the first one to pop up to help out. Have you heard from him ?

I'll send a PM later in the evening.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
David is the MAN - we meet today and a few minutes later our checks were replaced with US dollars.

Many thanks to David.
No problem. I didn't think it'd work as it's been a long time since I cashed a physical check over $1000 and it took around 5 days to process/clear then.

Yoko

Impact
Hi, David,

I have posted a post without realising as I am new, but I have this stimulus check that I have not been able to cash out or do anything to do with. I live in Tokyo but I was wondering if you could help me with my situation.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
Hi, David,

I have posted a post without realising as I am new, but I have this stimulus check that I have not been able to cash out or do anything to do with. I live in Tokyo but I was wondering if you could help me with my situation.
This is a little late to respond to, but, sure! I can do it in the same way that I did everyone else's.

Send me a conversation and we'll talk!

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Site Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidagiles84