Introduction Canadian, new to Okinawa

rad33

Impact
Hi everyone, just wanted to share an update since we arrived in Okinawa recently.

Found a place in Chatan about 10 minutes walk to Araha beach for 58,000 yen per month for a 2LDK Apartment. It is an older building and we are located on the third floor but it has great bones and the landlord is nice. One thing I was surprised about was that it came with literally nothing inside, like no air conditioners, stove top, curtains, etc. Overall we paid around 250,000 yen to get the place initially.

We went to Nitori to get our beds, couches, and some furniture and then went to Aeon to get some appliances and electronics. Some things we ordered from Amazon like our TV, coffee table, and others. Rented a car initially for Orix for one week but ended up extending it for a few extra days as we were still sorting out some things at the City Office.

Yesterday we purchased a car from Carman as we read lots of good reviews online. Dealing with Shin, the owner, was pleasant and he is fluent in English and Japanese. We ended up getting a 2009 Honda Zest Spark with a 2 year warranty and should have it within a weeks time. It was great that we were able to get a loaner vehicle while waiting which saved us about $300 to rent for another week.

Now we are just waiting for our furniture, beds, and electronics to be delivered, although we did manage to find a mini-fridge through an Okinawa Electronics Facebook Group and we have a stove and rice cooker to make food and some futons from NItori to sleep on. We also bought and installed two air conditioners so we are ready for the Okinawan summers.

The last main things that we have to do now are to enroll our daughter into Hoikuen (she is still 3) and to find a job. Unfortunately it has been challenging to find work in the hotels/tourism industry thus far due to the coronavirus situation, so will probably have to look elsewhere in the meantime.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the great information I found on this thread! I ate at Bollywood Jewel a few nights ago and it was delicious! The butter chicken is to die for and the giant naan filled me up to the point that I did not need to eat until lunch the next day.

-Rad

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

Attachments

• Zest.jpg
    Zest.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Bollywood Jewel.jpg
    Bollywood Jewel.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 40

Okinawa

Okinawa.Org Staff
Okinawa.Org Staff
Official Account
Impact
Welcome to Okinawa! :)
I ate at Bollywood Jewel a few nights ago and it was delicious!
I did not see you mentioning using a 10% discount offered at both Bollywood Jewel and Bollywood Dreams offered by clicking the "Coupon" tab in their respective listings. ;)
The butter chicken is to die for and the giant naan filled me up to the point that I did not need to eat until lunch the next day.
I'm sure that they'd appreciate a review while you're in their listings too! :)

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
Hey, welcome to Okinawa. I'm glad that you made it here safely and hope all is best for you with what's going around!
like no air conditioners
Typically an apartment of that size should come with at least 1; but none? :eek:
Overall we paid around 250,000 yen to get the place initially.
Consider yourself lucky. I believe we paid a lot more than that for our place as we had no guarantor either. At least it's spring and you'll be able to ride out some of this cold weather for a while. It will get unbearable unless you have some shade and wind, so it'd be wise to save a few thousand here and there for a cheap AC unit with just enough power to escape to the smallest room first.
Unfortunately it has been challenging to find work in the hotels/tourism industry thus far due to the coronavirus situation, so will probably have to look elsewhere in the meantime.
Yeah, the tourism industry is taking a big blow right now. It wasn't the best time to come, but who could've ever seen this coming with as far out as you had planned?

You might want to stop by Bollywood and ask for Rahul (typically always at Jewel). I think they might still be hiring. RUN OKI also might have an opening as well. They're both fairly close to you, walking distance-wise, so you might be able to save some gas money if one of you land a position there so the other can be out scouting other areas of interest.

Put in an application at OTS ProStaff as well so they can call you when something opens up that meets your criteria too.

Good luck! ?

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
I wonder what the cheapest single apt. go for ?
I've seen a 2(L)DK (the LDK really messes with me in counting rooms until I see a floor layout) as cheap as 28,000 yen. However, the conditions and areas weren't the best. But for someone on a low budget, wanting a fresh start, you can't complain at those rates because even a PT minimum wage job could keep you afloat until you're on your feet.

Not saying it'd be easy, but definitely doable with self-restraint.

island cyclist

Founding Member
Impact
Would you recommend a Vet to retire in Okinawa ?
Or at least keep 2 residences, one in mainland and one in Okinawa. ( for Okinawa, just something to hang lose for maybe 1/2 year during the cold season in the mainland)

OP
rad33

rad33

Impact
Hey, welcome to Okinawa. I'm glad that you made it here safely and hope all is best for you with what's going around!

Typically an apartment of that size should come with at least 1; but none? :eek:

Consider yourself lucky. I believe we paid a lot more than that for our place as we had no guarantor either. At least it's spring and you'll be able to ride out some of this cold weather for a while. It will get unbearable unless you have some shade and wind, so it'd be wise to save a few thousand here and there for a cheap AC unit with just enough power to escape to the smallest room first.

Yeah, the tourism industry is taking a big blow right now. It wasn't the best time to come, but who could've ever seen this coming with as far out as you had planned?

You might want to stop by Bollywood and ask for Rahul (typically always at Jewel). I think they might still be hiring. RUN OKI also might have an opening as well. They're both fairly close to you, walking distance-wise, so you might be able to save some gas money if one of you land a position there so the other can be out scouting other areas of interest.

Put in an application at OTS ProStaff as well so they can call you when something opens up that meets your criteria too.

Good luck! ?

Thanks for the tips again David! To be honest I forgot to use the 10% off coupon but next time I will definitely remember!

I was surprised at not having even one aircon as well, after when we went to the electronics store the employee recommended as getting a unit that was 400,000 yen since we have a fairly large living room. That was out of our budget so we got a second opinion and ended up getting 2 units for about 150,000 yen (one for the living room and one for the main bedroom)

The employment opportunity tips are a great help, I will definitely reach out as per your recommendations, we are starting to get settled in and are ready to get back to work. The timing is not the best right now but of course our concern is health and safety first. Hope you are all staying safe and healthy as well!

-Rad

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
I was surprised at not having even one aircon as well, after when we went to the electronics store the employee recommended as getting a unit that was 400,000 yen since we have a fairly large living room. That was out of our budget so we got a second opinion and ended up getting 2 units for about 150,000 yen (one for the living room and one for the main bedroom)
I think you could've gone with something a little cheaper than that, but, it would not be as efficient and cost more in utilities when used. It all depends on the room sizes. Each unit is designed to cool a specific room size and they have low-end models that cost more to run to higher-end models that are more efficient as well as 'smart' which point at you and run minimally.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
Would you recommend a Vet to retire in Okinawa ?
Absolutely. The cost of living, as well as the quality of life here, make for perfect conditions for anyone to retire here. I wouldn't live without making at least $2500 per month in retirement, though. That's because if the yen does strengthen against the USDJPY pair to 74 per dollar as it has in the past, you will be on the edge of hurting and need to cut back.
Or at least keep 2 residences, one in mainland and one in Okinawa. ( for Okinawa, just something to hang lose for maybe 1/2 year during the cold season in the mainland)
Only if you can afford it. A nice 1K place for ¥6 to 9 million that you can own would be much better than upkeeping a ¥55,000/mo apartment, as you will need to constantly run a dehumidifier as well or come back to a very moldy place. It could also be used for supplemental income as a hotel/timeshare type of thing too, if it passes safety checks, while you're away during the peak season.

Snow

Co-Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Impact
@rad33
Welcome to Okinawa finally!
You've got a nice car(y)
I wonder if you ate all that naan btw ?

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Site Statistics