Question Can you live in Okinawa without being associated with the military on a low monthly income?

og:title
Live in Okinawa for under $1000/mo?
html:title
Living in Okinawa, Japan with $1000/month — Is it possible?

island cyclist

Founding Member
If you had to live anywhere in Okinawa or Miyakojima on a budget of less then 95000 yen a month, what part of the island would be the low end of cost from housing to food.

Are any of you here in Okinawa retired and living off Social Security?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
There are a lot of people living in Okinawa on of a military retirement paycheck, Veterans Affairs compensation for themselves and any dependents, and fewer on Social Security Disability Insurance. I would suspect that the majority that retired at the grade of E-7/O-5 and above are making more than 500,000 yen per month, which is a very comfortable wage here.

Realistically, you can live in Okinawa on 95,000 yen per month, but it will be very difficult. A savings of at least 200,000 will ease that trouble as a majority of settling down is a deposit and purchasing necessities such as a washer as coin laundry will add up on you.

An apartment for 30,000 yen per month isn't out of the question. That would leave you with 65,000 yen per month to pay other bills such as water, gas, and electricity, with electricity eating right through that in the summertime once you flip on the air conditioner. Although, if you can beat the heat, I suspect you will have 40,000 yen left over per month that you can conservatively divide by two for food and have a leftover of 5000 yen per week to "splurge". Nonetheless, I wouldn't recommend splurging on anything until you have a decent amount saved back up because your gas range can break or a number of other things out of your control could happen, and with your savings account dry, you will be hurting to live.

OP
island cyclist

island cyclist

Founding Member
There are a lot of people living in Okinawa on of a military retirement paycheck, Veterans Affairs compensation for themselves and any dependents, and fewer on Social Security Disability Insurance. I would suspect that the majority that retired at the grade of E-7/O-5 and above are making more than 500,000 yen per month, which is a very comfortable wage here.

Realistically, you can live in Okinawa on 95,000 yen per month, but it will be very difficult. A savings of at least 200,000 will ease that trouble as a majority of settling down is a deposit and purchasing necessities such as a washer as coin laundry will add up on you.

An apartment for 30,000 yen per month isn't out of the question. That would leave you with 65,000 yen per month to pay other bills such as water, gas, and electricity, with electricity eating right through that in the summertime once you flip on the air conditioner. Although, if you can beat the heat, I suspect you will have 40,000 yen left over per month that you can conservatively divide by two for food and have a leftover of 5000 yen per week to "splurge". Nonetheless, I wouldn't recommend splurging on anything until you have a decent amount saved back up because your gas range can break or a number of other things out of your control could happen, and with your savings account dry, you will be hurting to live.
Being an ex military, wonder if that helps getting into an apartment?
Not sure about air conditioning, never had here in Yamaguchi though.
David, what about jobs. Basically, I'm unskilled . Although I've had a brokers licenses and a sub contractors license, I think the weather would to hard on me to work outdoors. Would like to check out any wall paper hanging jobs.
English teaching, don't know if its still possible with the corona stuff and I wouldn't know where to begin job hunting.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove66