og:title
Blue Seal Ice Park
html:title
Blue Seal Ice Park (Urasoe) - Information, Price, etc.

Mr. James

Founding Member
Guest Blogger
Hours
09:30 - 18:00
Price
1500 (everyone)
This trip to Blue Seal Ice Park started as somewhere to go on a rainy day. However, I could see how this place would be good to visit especially on the hottest day. The key is that it is indoors and makes for a good activity with younger children for about an hour.

The Ice Park is not quite what it sounds when reading the name. It is not a park at all, but rather a place to learn a bit about ice cream. The highlight is making and decorating your own ice cream bar. It is located conveniently on Route 58 in Urasoe with plenty of parking.

blue seal ice park 1.jpg blue seal ice park 2.jpg

The Ice Park is ideally suited for younger children (and parents of them as well). My daughter was 12 when we went, and she probably was on the upper end of the targeted age group. I’d say the perfect age to visit is from 6-10. Older kids probably would not find the ice park as much fun. I saw plenty of children less than 5 years old, but they did more running around (with parents chasing) rather than building their ice cream bar.

Time slots are limited to 9:30, 11:00 14:00, 16:00 and 18:00, but you are not guaranteed a slot by walking up. I believe it would be better to call ahead to make sure there is space when you go. We seemed to be in luck as we got two open spots for the next “tour” when we walked up.

blue seal ice park 3.jpg blue seal ice park 4.jpg

All instructions are given in Japanese (with translation boards held up for dummies like me). I would not worry if you don’t speak Japanese. The staff will manage through hand signals (I managed to understand “dip the ice cream one time, no NO, not two times, only ONE time”).

The actual making of the ice cream bar was rather structured, even with a bunch of little kids. We pre-selected our ice cream flavor, the flavor of the bar coating, and different toppings. While various groups went to pick up their toppings, others were shown into the sample freezer with the temperature at -20 degrees (Celsius). The actual decorating of the ice cream bar went rather fast, and I wish I had more time to sculpt my masterpiece.

blue seal ice park 5.jpg blue seal ice park 6.jpg

When finished decorating, you pack your bar into a cold carry bag with dry ice which will help the ice cream set so that you can eat it about 1 hour later. So as not to disappoint anyone who wants to eat their ice cream right away, you get a free cone of soft serve at the very end.

My daughter’s favorite part was eating her own creation. For me, I had a lot of fun playing with the dry ice when we got home, but you should probably keep that away from the kids (and from me too…).

The Ice Park is co-located with a Blue Seal restaurant, so you can go there to enjoy the ice cream without entering the Ice Park portion. Plenty of folks were there just for the ice cream and not for the Ice Park.

Overall, I recommend the Blue Seal Ice Cream Park for those with younger children.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.
Address
5 Chome-5-6 Makiminato, Urasoe, Okinawa 901-2131
Coordinates
26.266936, 127.721697
Map

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Boy, does this sure bring back memories!

I have about 10 SD cards that I need to go through to find my photos to see what kind of creation I made to share later on.

We went during the winter time, so we were already cold. I couldn't stand staying in the freezer more than a minute or so then. It does sound like a great time to relax right about now though. :)

Bernice W

Founding Member
Boy, does this sure bring back memories!

I have about 10 SD cards that I need to go through to find my photos to see what kind of creation I made to share later on.

We went during the winter time, so we were already cold. I couldn't stand staying in the freezer more than a minute or so then. It does sound like a great time to relax right about now though. :)
Blue Seal Polar Bear ice cream sandwiches are the best! When I was a little girl growing up in California, we had Blue Seal/Foremost Ice Cream and I loved it. I don’t remember when it stopped being available but I do remember missing it.

Felix

Founding Member
When I was a little girl growing up in California, we had Blue Seal/Foremost Ice Cream and I loved it.
I do not doubt you had some kind of ice cream company in California but I do not think it was Blue Seal as Blue Seal started it's ice cream company here in Okinawa in 1948 and established a factory in the Tengan Military Base of Gushikawa City(now Uruma City). The Blue Seal products were only offered to Americans until 1963, when the company began selling to the Okinawan public. Their flagship store in Naha also opened that year.

Bernice W

Founding Member
I do not doubt you had some kind of ice cream company in California but I do not think it was Blue Seal as Blue Seal started it's ice cream company here in Okinawa in 1948 and established a factory in the Tengan Military Base of Gushikawa City(now Uruma City). The Blue Seal products were only offered to Americans until 1963, when the company began selling to the Okinawan public. Their flagship store in Naha also opened that year.
Hi Felix,

You are partially correct. The US company Foremost Dairy built the factory on Tengan Military Base in 1948. It produced ice cream and other dairy products for the US military. This was the beginning of the Blue Seal company and its history in Okinawa. The company's slogan is "Born in America, Raised in Okinawa" The polar bear bars that I enjoyed as a child were the Foremost polar bear bars. Blue Seal Polar Bear bars are the same ones just under the Blue Seal name. Foremost Dairy stopped delivery when I was still a girl and I totally missed it! I moved to Minnesota when I was 15 and Foremost didn't distribute there so I couldn't even get it at the store. I remember being thrilled when we got here back in 1998 and seeing the Foremost Blue Seal Store LOL

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

New Forum Posts

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beebs