Question Are there many American style fast food restaurants in Okinawa?

island cyclist

Founding Member
Just wondering if Okinawa these days are polluted with American style fast food joints.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Yes, and no.

We have McDonald's, Burger King, A&W, and Domino's to name a few in Okinawa. However, in my opinion, they only have one thing in common: Their trademark.

The flavors, and I'd even go as far as venturing to say it's healthier, is so much better... not to mention the cleaner atmosphere.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I've only eaten at McDonald's of those listed, I didn't notice any difference in the items I had.
You don't think not only is there a cleaner atmosphere at a McDonald's here, but also thought the burgers tasted the same as well as the same presentation? :eek:

It's almost night and day. I wish we could get a US-made burger here overnight and make a comparison because, in my humble opinion, there is no comparison—Japanese ones just taste better, and I'm unsure whether it's the beef or how they cook it that makes it different... but something certainly is, to me, at least.

Either way, we both have our opinions. :)

Try out Burger King, A&W (which I think has softer buns and don't like over the US), and Dominos to see if you can see any differences.

One comparison that we can make is Subway, provided you have base access. While I don't mind either (besides the smaller portions here), the concept of making your own sandwich doesn't exist (or at least the last time I went). That might be a shocker for some as you have to order off the menu and can't mix and match the types of breads, meats, and sauces to try something new each time.

chris

Founding Member
You don't think not only is there a cleaner atmosphere at a McDonald's here, but also thought the burgers tasted the same as well as the same presentation? :eek:

It's almost night and day. I wish we could get a US-made burger here overnight and make a comparison because, in my humble opinion, there is no comparison—Japanese ones just taste better, and I'm unsure whether it's the beef or how they cook it that makes it different... but something certainly is, to me, at least.

Either way, we both have our opinions. :)

Try out Burger King, A&W (which I think has softer buns and don't like over the US), and Dominos to see if you can see any differences.

One comparison that we can make is Subway, provided you have base access. While I don't mind either (besides the smaller portions here), the concept of making your own sandwich doesn't exist (or at least the last time I went). That might be a shocker for some as you have to order off the menu and can't mix and match the types of breads, meats, and sauces to try something new each time.
Ok heres the low down on burgers in my opinion because i love burgers.
McDonald's is the worst.
WHY? well McDonalds for 1 has been using the same old hockey puck burgers and made the same way since 1950 and their burgers have always been dry and not very good.
Burgerking is about the best on my list for fast food burgers
unlike McDonalds which they steam press their burgers to make ready Burger king actually does bbq theirs on a open flame and taste ten times better
A&W use to be great burgers in the 1980's but somewhere along the line they got cheap and thats what their burgers taste like, homemade cheap burgers that kid tried in a toys r us oven and this goes for japan as well horrible burgers which they try and hide it with different sauces and way to much lettuce and tomatoes and bacon or ham pilled on top of it and the buns are like from San-A or something like that.

Now if you really want to know burgers i can help you along with pizza because i have been on a mission for years now trying to find the best burger and pizza on island which i can say this i am still searching lol.

Oh there is Subway off base which is not very good and yes you can have the japanese store make the sandwich your way with different toppings and add on meats but something is totally missing from the japanese Subway compared to American Subway. American Subway by far beats the pants off the Japanese Subway and the reason for this i really dont know why.

so heres my scorecard for top 3 fast food burgers 1-10 10 being the best
BurgerKing- 10
McDonald's- 5
A&W - 1

chris

Founding Member
As being an Okinawan, I feel obligated to say that A&W has to be a 10! 😝
You don't need to feel obligated lol just about all okinawans love A&W and JEF don't ask me why but that's ok. Yesterday had lunch with my wife at Tomato & Onion Naha Yasuoka and it was my first time eating there and i have to say it was really really good burgers there. A little pricey but well worth the time and sit and eat there and i found the burgers great and this place goes on my ratings for good burgers as a 3. Its very close to a number 2 burger restaurant in my book for okinawa but again i'm still searching for that hamburger that just takes my breath away.

Google Maps

chris

Founding Member
I remember as a kid, A&W was a treat to go to. The root beer is tops. But these days I understand they don't use real sugar, at least not in the imported cans of A&W here. Do they still sell chili dogs ?
As a matter of fact yes they do still sell the chili dogs and there not bad just small :LOL:

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Okinawa.Org Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackjackMidnite