Scenic Spot Arashiyama Observation Deck

Rob Oechsle

For all of you WING NUTS out there who look for these things here's a new one (painted July 2018 by an artist from Taiwan) on the 2nd floor of the Arashiyama LOOK-OUT TOWER in Nago. I also include a pic of the tower and the nice view from up there. Cheers!

An Okinawan Angel

An Okinawan Angel at Arashiyama Observation Deck in Nago

An Okinawan Angel in a Concrete Box! This shows you how the wings are tightly painted to right to the support columns of the look-out tower. To prevent "key-stoning" of the columns (like you see here), drop your camera down a little more until you see that the columns are perfectly straight on either side. If you want to remove the "concrete box" effect, just move in closer to cut out the side columns. It looks like the wing height is even better for kids!

An Okinawan Angel in a concrete box Arashiyama Observation Deck

I begged 90-year-old Tamanaha-san to stand on the bench so I could do the "Wing Thing" with her. She stubbornly refused, saying, "There's NO WAY I'm climbing up on this bench!"

OK. I gave up. I hope her hat doesn't fly away!

Tamanaha-san at Arashiyama Observation Deck

Been here 100 times. Rain or shine, day or night. Always a nice place to rest my bones, and look out across the islands and the sea.

Arashiyama Observation Deck in Nago

Wow! Gotta admit I lucked out with a VERY CLEAR DAY when I took this picture. It's another "million-dollar view" that's completely free. And for all of you smooching love-birds, it's open all night under the stars as well.

Million-dollar view from the Arashiyama Observation Deck in Nago

Normally, it's a bit hazier (or a LOT hazier) than this, thanks to the never-ending air pollution from China that comes our way. But, even on a normal nice day, with the sun beaming down, or rain falling in the distance here and there, it's worth a look before moving on to other sights and adventures in northern Okinawa.

Arashiyama Observation Deck angel wings

Arashiyama Observation Deck angel wings

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.
Address
Japan, Okinawa, Nago, Goga, 1460-2 嵐山展望台パイン店
Coordinates
Map

Beach-Bum

Founding Member
Guest Blogger
Easy to pass because it is not on a main road. The quickest route is off the 505. The road makes a rather steep climb (by Okinawa standards) uphill. Once at the top, there will be fields on the left hand side. If you happen to go during the summer, these fields will be full of pineapples! Interesting sight for those who may not have made it to Pineapple Park yet.
The tower will be on the right hand side. Can’t miss it. The bottom level has a small cafe for drinks & ice cream. Climb the stairs & you'll immediately be graced with a pair of pastel angel wings. Each side of the tower has a different mural for all your instagram needs. For those more attracted to scenery- there is a fantastic view of Kourijima, Yagajijima, & Ojima.

Attachments

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Northern Okinawa looks like such a beautiful place to visit, even for "quirky" stuff like wings and small homely cafes with a view like this! 😲

While there are quite a few places down south (Itoman and Nanjo) that offer this, I can only assume the tranquility of being up there is much better. In my opinion, there are some exceptions to this of some regions of the far south.

Our family has to get some camping gear together so that we can make some cheap excursions up to places like Nago and even farther to Cape Hado so that we can avoid the $100 per night rooms. Doing this will let us see so much more and not have such a significant impact on our wallet, either.

Thanks for sharing, @Rob Oechsle and @Beach-Bum!

...my wife would like to know if either you by chance know if they serve beer there though? 😆

Beach-Bum

Founding Member
Guest Blogger
Northern Okinawa looks like such a beautiful place to visit, even for "quirky" stuff like wings and small homely cafes with a view like this! 😲

While there are quite a few places down south (Itoman and Nanjo) that offer this, I can only assume the tranquility of being up there is much better. In my opinion, there are some exceptions to this of some regions of the far south.

Our family has to get some camping gear together so that we can make some cheap excursions up to places like Nago and even farther to Cape Hado so that we can avoid the $100 per night rooms. Doing this will let us see so much more and not have such a significant impact on our wallet, either.

Thanks for sharing, @Rob Oechsle and @Beach-Bum!

...my wife would like to know if either you by chance know if they serve beer there though? 😆
Haha. No sorry. Didn’t see beer. But there’s a Lawson @ the 110 & 58 intersection next to Ojima bridge. Probably a 5min drive from there to the overlook 😉.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sign In or Sign Up

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Create an Account

Latest Posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
paula yuki