Question Any recommendations for a doctor/dentist in Okinawa (English speaking if possible)?

Mr. James

Founding Member
Guest Blogger
I am looking for recommendations in Okinawa for a doctor (general/family practice) as well as dentist (again, just for the routine cleanings, etc).
I don't need any specific medical issue addressed, I would just like to have a doctor ready to go to in case something came up.
I live in Yomitan (close to Kadena), so perhaps there is a practice near here someone has used and can recommend.
It would be a real bonus if the office spoke some amount of English as well.

A recommendation from someone here would be much better than me just cold calling or just walking in to a random doctor/dentist office.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of Okinawa.Org.

island cyclist

Founding Member
One thing you might find beneficial if you become ill is that you go to the government hospital there in Okinawa and get registered with that hospital and you'll get a card a health card and you'll find it really easy to go through the system that way because eventually if you go to a private doctor and depend upon the illness you'll eventually have to go to the hospital so in this case you will be able to taken care of up front that's only a suggestion by the way.

OP
Mr. James

Mr. James

Founding Member
Guest Blogger
Well, I thought I'd reply here to my own question, as I found a very satisfactory dentist. The office is called "Cure and Care" and is located on route 330 between Kadena base and Camp Foster.
The staff speaks English very well, and I was able to get my simple cleaning done straight away. My son also will have his orthodontics done here. Although I only came one time, I will go back again (that counts as my endorsement). It seems like many Americans were in the waiting room (and Y-plates in the parking lot), so they may even take Tricare (not sure, better to ask).

I am still looking for a similar arrangement for a doctor, if anyone cares to recommend. (i.e. one that you would recommend, preferably English speaking, and up in the the Yomitan/Kadena area).

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
Cure and Care
Thanks for sharing your experience there. The dentists that I've been to so far seem to lack knowledge in the most basic of dental knowledge to try and get patients in and out as quickly as possible.
his orthodontics done here
Mind sharing the range this will cost? I've heard braces can start at $10,000 here.
so they may even take Tricare
I don't know how Tricare works now, but when I was in, we just had to pay all upfront and take the receipt to the Tricare office where it would be refunded in the form of payment in your regular paycheck.

OP
Mr. James

Mr. James

Founding Member
Guest Blogger
Thanks for sharing your experience there. The dentists that I've been to so far seem to lack knowledge in the most basic of dental knowledge to try and get patients in and out as quickly as possible.

Mind sharing the range this will cost? I've heard braces can start at $10,000 here.

I don't know how Tricare works now, but when I was in, we just had to pay all upfront and take the receipt to the Tricare office where it would be refunded in the form of payment in your regular paycheck.
Well, my first (and only visit) went very smoothly.
I do not require much dental work, just the standard cleaning.
In my case, they worked very professionally and accommodated my requests.
I was also pleasantly surprised that they didn't "require" an x-ray like every dentist office I have ever went to in the US (which I think they do in the US just to pad their insurance bill).
And I was in and out very quickly...is that a bad thing?

About the orthodontics, we can say (as usual) that every case will be different.
My son's will cost around $2500 for installation + monthly visits.
The treatment is expected to be 1 to 1.5 years.

I don't have Tricare, I am on the Japanese health care system.
So far as I know, the Japanese health care doesn't cover orthodontics.
I mentioned Tricare in my previous post because of all the Americans I found in the waiting room.
I guess I am assuming they may take Tricare, but I didn't ask.

David

Founder
Okinawa.Org Staff
I was also pleasantly surprised that they didn't "require" an x-ray like every dentist office I have ever went to in the US (which I think they do in the US just to pad their insurance bill).
I ask for an x-ray as it's best to know for sure. A quick visual exam can sometimes miss something.